Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my shock blew. I just started a nwe thread asking feedback about dhx shocks and this happens, :madman: . I know it happens but when i think about the time it will take to fix it, i can`t imagine how my weekends are going to be. Tomorow i`ll take it to my LBS and i just hope they will have something to borrow me.Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
yeah, this is fox air shox...i just rebuilt mine yesterday after taking it off in disgust 4 weex ago. it's really easy to opening it up and rebuild...you'll probably need a seal kit but you can alos just clean up and relube the existing seals

when they work, they are good, but they are freakin delicate

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think you should reuse your current seals. How long have you had it with the current seals? Maintnenance? Damage? New seals are only a few bucks, so it makes sense to use fresh ones while it's apart anyway. I regularly service my seals on my RP23 and have had zero problems.

Also, be careful taking the air-sleeve off because from what I've leaned, stuckdown shocks have pressure built up in them that cannot be released with the air valve. The procedure involves taking out the eyelet hardware and putting a rag throught the eyelet to cushion/catch the air-sleeve when it comes off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20 Minutes !?!

tscheezy said:
It takes less than 20 minutes to fix it, assuming it isn't stuck too far down.
20 minutes :eek: . My shock still is in warranty period so my LBS send it to the fox national dealer, and it`ll take 10 DAYS to fix it :madman: :madman: .
Personaly i don`t think i could fix it, i`m not very good with tools :blush: , so i already have my next weekend ruined, and yeah it was stucked all way down. Thanks on the advices anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is what I an going thru. My shock got sent back to fox a month ago from my lbs. I got a call that they would most likly be sending me back a new shock. Thay was a week ago. I dont know when Ill be getting back. If I had to do it all over again I would have just send it the shock to get pushed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben99r1 said:
This is what I an going thru. My shock got sent back to fox a month ago from my lbs. I got a call that they would most likly be sending me back a new shock. Thay was a week ago. I dont know when Ill be getting back. If I had to do it all over again I would have just send it the shock to get pushed.
One month !?! That sucks. A friend of mine told me yesterday his rp3 was sent to fox last year with the same problem and he waited almost 5 weeks, i guess it will happen the same with me.I`m from Europe, we don`t have Push industries but in your case i would have sent it to these guys for sure. Anyway thanks for sharing your pain.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Periodic maint. goes a long way. If you open up your air shocks every few months (as per the Tscheezy maint manual.) and lube the seals, you will be fine and no stuck down.

·
Registered
258 Posts
be350ka said:
Periodic maint. goes a long way. If you open up your air shocks every few months (as per the Tscheezy maint manual.) and lube the seals, you will be fine and no stuck down.
Also, consider shelling out the outrageous sum of $6 for new seals once in a while and ride worry free.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
C24C said:
Also, consider shelling out the outrageous sum of $6 for new seals once in a while and ride worry free.
Nice sense of humour you got there C24C :thumbsup: .OK OK, i`ll search some kind of step by step photos and try to learn something, besides i will have plenty of time for some days. Meanwhile what do you think about the rear fox talas ? There`s one used in my lbs, but they don`t know the price yet cause it belongs to a customer. I know it`s a 2003/4 model, but i only started seriously in the sport in 2005 so i don`t know anything except the reviews i`ve read in "products". Is it any good (performance/reliability) and what should be a reasonable price ?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Mr.P said:
I'm starting to read reports of stuck down 07 shocks. Post Fox claim of seal manuf. issues.

Mr. P
It was an interesting tactic, on Fox's part, putting all the blame on the manufacturer. The manufacturer may have used off spec material, which may have worsened the situation, however, the real problem is the design itself. It is bound to fail, regardless. The positive and negative air chambers are separated by a single seal, which, when exposed to side loading, is bound to brake off from the air sleeve and allow air to pass from the positive to the negative.

One solution to the problem would be abandoning the DU bushings in the eyelets and using spherical bearings like the Double Barrel does, for example. This way, the side loads on the shock would be removed (caused by imperfect alignment of the frame, which rarely exists) and the lateral force on the shock eliminated. In these conditions the failure could only be caused by worn seals which would be attributed to poor maintenance.

_MK

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
C24C said:
Why replace the seals when the only problem every few months is the fact that the pillow pack has wept out past the seals. No seal issue, just a lube issue.

Its not to say that the seals never fail, but relubing good seals works just fine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
be350ka said:
No seal issue, just a lube issue.
Exactly my point! The idea is to replace the seals BEFORE you have a seal issue. Seals are made of rubber. They wear over time. Better to be safe than sorry and posting about how bummed you are that you can't ride after your shock gets stuckdown after 8, 10, even 12 months without doing any maintenance.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
C24C said:
Exactly my point! The idea is to replace the seals BEFORE you have a seal issue. Seals are made of rubber. They wear over time. Better to be safe than sorry and posting about how bummed you are that you can't ride after your shock gets stuckdown after 8, 10, even 12 months without doing any maintenance.
I hear you loud and clear. My point is that many people have experienced the stuckdown issue after 5 rides. My self included!!:madman: I sent it back to Fox and no problems since. But, I have been making sure that my shock has sufficient lube.

It has been about 11 months since I got my shock back from Fox and I havnt had any problems at all. Keeping the seals lubed is the key and mine, as well as the others who do this same preventative maint, is proof that it helps.

Changing the seals every month or so is like replacing you brake lines everytime they need to be bled.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wasn't saying that you need to replace the seals every time you service the shock. And I'm aware that there are stuckdown issues in new shocks.

I ride a lot. For those out there that ride a lot too, investing in new seals every few months might be a good idea. I didn't say that you need to use fresh seals every time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
MK_ said:
It was an interesting tactic, on Fox's part, putting all the blame on the manufacturer. The manufacturer may have used off spec material, which may have worsened the situation, however, the real problem is the design itself. It is bound to fail, regardless. The positive and negative air chambers are separated by a single seal, which, when exposed to side loading, is bound to brake off from the air sleeve and allow air to pass from the positive to the negative.

One solution to the problem would be abandoning the DU bushings in the eyelets and using spherical bearings like the Double Barrel does, for example. This way, the side loads on the shock would be removed (caused by imperfect alignment of the frame, which rarely exists) and the lateral force on the shock eliminated. In these conditions the failure could only be caused by worn seals which would be attributed to poor maintenance.

_MK
I have been looking at the stuck-down problem and your side-loading theory is interesting. Do you have any evidence that would support the theory?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
billee said:
I have been looking at the stuck-down problem and your side-loading theory is interesting. Do you have any evidence that would support the theory?
i think he may be onto something...i have a two year old bike with a progressive 5th element air that has the spherical berings for and aft...it has never lost air or otherwise not worked...this bike has been thrashed over 3000 miles!!! only in the last couple months did i open it and add a bit of shock fluid

in contrast, my newer bike with the float has gone stuck down on average once a month, ridden this bike 1500 miles

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Side loading could contribute to the issue, but the main cause is lubrication as far as I can tell based on personal experience and anecdotal "data" here on emptybeer. My first RP3 stuck down years ago when I first got it. I fixed it and kept it lubed with fork oil after that. The seals are now many years old and I have had no issues since. I have new seals for it, but have not installed them since the shock works fine, and does not lose air. There is no reason to think that new seals would not be MORE prone to stuck-down. I own many Fox air shocks (RP3, RP23, two DHX Airs, etc) all purchased at varying times over the past few years, and they all will exhibit stuck down if not lubricated with something exhibiting pretty low viscosity (so that the seals get re-wetted when the lube puddles at the seals).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.