Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rear shock on my '05 SJ 100 has blown again. Last year it was fine one week, and the next time I went to ride, I used all the travel just sitting on the bike. The LBS sent it to Fox to be fixed. So far this year, it's worked fine, until Friday. I rode last Saturday, and the shock was working fine. When I got to the trail Friday, the rear felt like the shock didn't have air. I used a shock pump, and it had ~170psi in it. I pumped it to 190psi, and there was no change. I'm 185lbs, so 170 - 190 psi should be fine for me. Can I run a RP3 on a SJ frame, or am I stuck with the Triad?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I remember seeing a thread recently that mentioned a problem with shocks not working when it got cold. A solution was posted for resetting the shock & it would work fine again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, that's interesting. Do you remember if it was in the shocks forum, or this one? It was last December, after Xmas when it messed up the first time.

·
Soft AND Tender
143 Posts
It happened to me...

The Triad and the RP3 are pretty much the same shock.

The same thing happened to me about two months ago with my Septune when the weather turned cold. Let all the air out of the shock and if the shock body sucks all the way in, your shock is 'stuck down'. This means you've got air stuck in the negative chamber. Apparently, when it gets cold and the seal starts to wear the main seal contracts and lets air by.

Fox recommends you don't work on a stuck down shock yourself, but I know many people who fixed this problem simply by letting ALL the air out of the shock, and unscrewing the air sleeve. Then the shock body just popped back out.

When it happened to mine I sent it to PUSH Industries and had them do the service and upgrade the shock. Their turnaround time is much better than Fox factory. I had my shock back from them in 3 days! Never even missed a ride because of it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cbratt said:
The Triad and the RP3 are pretty much the same shock.

The same thing happened to me about two months ago with my Septune when the weather turned cold. Let all the air out of the shock and if the shock body sucks all the way in, your shock is 'stuck down'. This means you've got air stuck in the negative chamber. Apparently, when it gets cold and the seal starts to wear the main seal contracts and lets air by.

Fox recommends you don't work on a stuck down shock yourself, but I know many people who fixed this problem simply by letting ALL the air out of the shock, and unscrewing the air sleeve. Then the shock body just popped back out.

When it happened to mine I sent it to PUSH Industries and had them do the service and upgrade the shock. Their turnaround time is much better than Fox factory. I had my shock back from them in 3 days! Never even missed a ride because of it.

Hope this helps.
When I let the air out before I removed the shock, it stucked the rear suspension up, which it never did before. Last time it was sent back, it was 4 weeks turn around. :( It was January, and we had a very wet winter, so I couldn't ride anyway. Thanks for the replys, I'm glad it's not only me with this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts