Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here I am again hacking the Turner thread with my questions. Ho, well, you guys are usually very nice to me so I thought I'd do it again!

Here goes, just upgraded my Banzai for 2005 with a brand new PUSHed RP3. I've browsed around a bit but there doesn't seem to be a concensus on what is the "normal" air pressure to run those RP3. I started with about 80% of my weight but I was running at 30% sag. So I'm now at about my weight, sag is around 25% and I seem to use most of the travel. By the way, I run mine fully open and it does not bob at all when seated so I don't think I'll be playing with the little lever. I guess Mr. PUSH did a great job of tweaking it to my weight!

I was just wondering what your experience was in order to maximize small bump absorption.

Ho, and while I'm at it, here a new picture of my highly customized sted! Now with an AM1 in front and PUSH in the rear, ho sooooo sweet ride...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliment but I myself don't like it that much! I don't know, I guess I have a preference for shiny paint. As soon as I can I'll at least have the lower legs on the AM1 painted flat black, that should help because the current "whatever" yellow is....(&)*&)?%!

SMOKEY said:
whoa! killer paint man! Me likey..

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I just got the RP3 a week ago and have a few rides on it. My pressure is the same as my weight. When you say you run it open do you mean all the way to the - sign? I'm really surprised that I can hardly tell the differance between the 3 positions so I just put the lever in the middle till I get it dialed in.

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
When I first got my RP3 from PUSH, I started out with the pressure the same as my weight, but even in the "-" setting, the ride seemed somewhat harsh and I wasn't getting close to full travel. I've been working my way down in pressure, and I'm now at about 20-25psi below my weight and getting around 12-14mm of sag. The ride is much better.

This is on a 5spot. I don't know what the leverage ratio is on your Devinci, but if it's different, this info might not be of much help.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Maybe wrong here, but I think it depends on the frame and even what year your frame is. I am running at 83% of my riding weight (with gear) and getting 25% sag on the (-) propedal setting. I have a 2005 Med. 5-Spot with the changes for the DHX compatibility.

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
I am done with the % of body weight/% of sag way of setting air pressure. I have my RP3 set according to the ride I am going to do to maximize travel/plushness. This obviously takes some experimentation/planning changing etc. But I set it to the point where it comes as close to bottoming out on the harshest drop/rock on the trail and then I can have a degree of confidence in a) not bottoming the shock and, b) getting the plushest ride/most travel out of the fork. If you ride a new trail every day this isn't going to work. I tend to do the same ride every time ( :rolleyes: ), so it works very well for me.

BIG caveat - I rarely know what I am talking about re technicalities in MTBG, so take this with a grain of salt, as necessary (and flame away those who do know what they are talking about) :)

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
rmac said:
I am done with the % of body weight/% of sag way of setting air pressure. I have my RP3 set according to the ride I am going to do to maximize travel/plushness. This obviously takes some experimentation/planning changing etc. But I set it to the point where it comes as close to bottoming out on the harshest drop/rock on the trail and then I can have a degree of confidence in a) not bottoming the shock and, b) getting the plushest ride/most travel out of the fork. If you ride a new trail every day this isn't going to work. I tend to do the same ride every time ( :rolleyes: ), so it works very well for me.

BIG caveat - I rarely know what I am talking about re technicalities in MTBG, so take this with a grain of salt, as necessary (and flame away those who do know what they are talking about) :)
I'm not going to flame you. I think you have the right idea.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
rmac said:

Trying to plan ahead to know which ride you are going to do with what drops sounds like an extremely difficult way to set up the shock, at least for me. I use the 25% sag to set up the rp3 and get 1.75" of the 2" shock travel every ride, with more aggro rides eaking out extra travel. Based on this, I am assuming I have my ride optimized. I was only adding in the % body weight as a reference for comparison of frames.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use the 25% sag method on my Pushed RP3 and run it in the - setting apart from the odd fire road climb when I stick it in the middle setting.

I usually get full travel-unless I'm supposed to push the o-ring from the shaft at bottom out? I've never managed to get the o-ring off the shaft yet but it's always near the bottom after a ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.