Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I plan to rebuild my old Blade. It's got the original Float R, which works great but is probably time for a rebuild/servicing. But instead of putting money into an old shock, I thought about just buying one of those nice updated RP3/RP23s instead.

Anyone put one of those on their older Blades? My Blade is a 2003.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Push it

I would just get your shock Pushed. I had an RP3 on my Blade. It's a great shock but the versitility of changing the settings is lost. You can't adjust it while you are riding (had a few crashes trying to do this).

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
No Love for the RP23??

I've been holding off on buying a shock for the 5.7 linkage I picked up earlier this year for my 04 SB, to see what other shock may be coming out that will fit. Unfortunately the TALAS shock I'm running appears to be having some issues, and rather than go rideless for 4-6 weeks while Fox mucks with it, I was looking at picking up something new.

The RP23 looks like a great upgrade from the RP3 in that the adjustment from on to off ProPedal is so much easier. Thought this was the perfect fit for the SB with it's limited access to the adjustment lever... Comments?

Otherwise, Anyone in the 215+lb range riding a pushed Float?
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
EndoBikr said:
I've been holding off on buying a shock for the 5.7 linkage I picked up earlier this year for my 04 SB, to see what other shock may be coming out that will fit. Unfortunately the TALAS shock I'm running appears to be having some issues, and rather than go rideless for 4-6 weeks while Fox mucks with it, I was looking at picking up something new.

The RP23 looks like a great upgrade from the RP3 in that the adjustment from on to off ProPedal is so much easier. Thought this was the perfect fit for the SB with it's limited access to the adjustment lever... Comments?

Otherwise, Anyone in the 215+lb range riding a pushed Float?
Well... basically, the RP23 is an RP3 with increased adjustability, but the shock arrangement of the Blade works best for a non-adjustable shock or something mounted on the handlebar and a remote, because you can't access any control... hell, even the rebound knob is hard to reach.

From that standpoint, a Push'ed Float would be my first choice or maybe a RS MC 3.3 or Pearl (I ignore if the remote can be used with the Pearl, though).

Rumours are that Push will be offering upgrades to RS products too.

Still, pushing a Float would be my first shot. Actually, I have a Float and it'll be Pushed as soon as my wife loses track of the CC monthly statements :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
EndoBkr,

I changed my SB from the TALAS shock to a PUSH float this spring, and absolutely love it. It feels like a new bike. The shock performs so well I have never wanted any adjustability.

Somewhat off-topic, another great upgrade for the 'Blade is the Gravity Dropper seatpost. After I rode the TALAS shock for years I found myself using the adjustment less and less. I have found that the GD changes your riding position/center of gravity much more and is actually more beneficial than changing the travel. Also with the interupted tube on the 'Blade it is the only way to go if you want to drop your seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I hear good things about the PUSHéd shocks. But I'm just reluctant to put money into an old shock. I'd rather buy a whole new shock for that money.

The GD sounds good. What is the lowest setting you can put it at with the hardward projecting out from the seatpost? What length is your post? Less than 300mm I assume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
myitch said:
Yeah, I hear good things about the PUSHéd shocks. But I'm just reluctant to put money into an old shock. I'd rather buy a whole new shock for that money.
You can buy new Pushed shocks from Push. Please visit their website because they have a lot of information there that you'll find useful. You can even contact them and ask them questions about their product.

http://www.pushindustries.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
My GD is 375 mm, I am a big kid on a medium frame. I probably could have gone with a 350 or 300. My post is at the bottom of the seat tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
So if pushed was not a option ?

Would a Rp32 fit on the Older SB's ? 5.25" links ? I see the Rock Shock Pearl was mentioned, I was under the impresion that only the 5th air and fox would fit the bike ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I hear that! My lovely wife (who sometimes reads these forums!! ) got me the Maverick Speedball post in early July. What a great upgrade to be able to change the seat height on the fly!!
As far as the TALAS goes, I almost never drop it down, but I find I get less pedalbob/more ProPedal when it's in the lowest travel setting, so if I know I'm facing a big climb (which in Colorado you always are!) and I know it's not too technical, I'll drop the TALAS and the PIKE down.
Thats really why I like the RP23 idea. I need all the help I can get on the high country climbs, but I'm only climbing for the downhill fun after!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Warp said:
hell, even the rebound knob is hard to reach.
I'm having a hard time picturing why this is a problem. What's the deal with the 5.7 linkage? The TALAS linkage has plenty of room for the TALAS reservior, so what happend to that room with the 5.7 linkage??

Anyone had any luck finding a shock eye2eye that would fit the TALAS links if full travel mode?
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
EndoBikr said:
I'm having a hard time picturing why this is a problem. What's the deal with the 5.7 linkage? The TALAS linkage has plenty of room for the TALAS reservior, so what happend to that room with the 5.7 linkage??

Anyone had any luck finding a shock eye2eye that would fit the TALAS links if full travel mode?
I have a 5" rockers, '04 Blade.
The rebound knob sits between the gussets of the seatmast, which extend towards the rear, effectively covering the rebound knob.

Wasn't the TALAS reservoir offset to one side? Just aside the mast?

Off course, maybe mounting the shock reversed (canister facing to rear wheel) would work... but on a bumpy trail the lever would be constantly moving and it may be hard to activate, that's not to mention the location is actually hard to reach. Try touching one of the bearing's bolts on the swingarm side of the rockers while riding.

At normal position, the lever (as aforementioned) sits below the seatmast and you have to either find your way around your tigh or between it and the seatmast. Easier, but not like trail friendly.

It can be done, but I wouldn't call it "on the fly".

Yeah, the Pearl's canister may be too big. Anyone wants to try?
However, all I've read about the Pearl is that it leaks or the negative spring bumper eats some travel making it to be a few mm shorter in eye-to-eye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Warp said:
I have a 5" rockers, '04 Blade.
The rebound knob sits between the gussets of the seatmast, which extend towards the rear, effectively covering the rebound knob.

Wasn't the TALAS reservoir offset to one side? Just aside the mast?
Warp, Thanks for getting back to me on this.
Yeah, the TALAS reservior sits off to the side, similar to the DHX Air.
Warp said:
Off course, maybe mounting the shock reversed (canister facing to rear wheel) would work... but on a bumpy trail the lever would be constantly moving and it may be hard to activate, that's not to mention the location is actually hard to reach. Try touching one of the bearing's bolts on the swingarm side of the rockers while riding.

At normal position, the lever (as aforementioned) sits below the seatmast and you have to either find your way around your tigh or between it and the seatmast. Easier, but not like trail friendly.

It can be done, but I wouldn't call it "on the fly".

Yeah, the Pearl's canister may be too big. Anyone wants to try?
However, all I've read about the Pearl is that it leaks or the negative spring bumper eats some travel making it to be a few mm shorter in eye-to-eye.
I guess I'd be happy if I could just change the travel while sitting on the bike, not necessarily while rolling... Like I said the CO climbs are brutal enough for a 220# rider without having to fight pedal bob as well.

I've heard/read similar problems with the Pearl Shock. It seems the 1st generation RS Shocks have great potential but are having some issues.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
EndoBikr said:
I've heard/read similar problems with the Pearl Shock. It seems the 1st generation RS Shocks have great potential but are having some issues.
Copy ya on that one... we also spend some time well above 8000 ft of elevation around here (Mexico City is at 7600', and all the surroundings are mountains above that, expect the NE). Any help is welcome climbing in these kinds of environments and I'm sure you can reach the lever while on the bike, but not while riding.

As a stop-and-go feature, it's OK. But as mentioned by Chris, it may not be on-the-fly.

Let us know when you have the "baby" at home and don't forget a review.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top