Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it seems that i might try to upgrade my 02 switchblade by replacing my old float rl with either a new float r or rp3. so here's the rub, i know that the rp3 offers three levels of propedal (2 on and 1 off) but how is the propedal platform determined on the float r? i'd rather have a shock without levers as i'm always forgetting, in an anaerobic haze :) , to switch the lever. can i customize the float r's propedal platform in some way or is it set at the factory to body weight?

thanks for any input. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the classifieds for a good deal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
robhloff said:
so it seems that i might try to upgrade my 02 switchblade by replacing my old float rl with either a new float r or rp3. so here's the rub, i know that the rp3 offers three levels of propedal (2 on and 1 off) but how is the propedal platform determined on the float r? i'd rather have a shock without levers as i'm always forgetting, in an anaerobic haze :) , to switch the lever. can i customize the float r's propedal platform in some way or is it set at the factory to body weight?

thanks for any input. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the classifieds for a good deal.
Actually, RP3 doesn't have an off position. There are rather 3 different damping (ProPedal) levels; regular Float ProPedal has a damping level similar to RP3 second (middle) position.
Regarding damping on Float ProPedal, let's say that all of them are the same, unless you are talking about a "special" OEM version (custom valved for a given use). If you are on customized shocks, you might look at www.pushindustries.com and they can modify the shock for your intended use.

Just for your records, I'm 160 #'s with gear, 5' 8". When I bought my SB (a medium 05') it came with a Float ProPedal (non RP3) and it was a sweet ride and could take whatever I throw at it. Later, I changed the shock for a Float Talas ProPedal because of travel and geometry adjustments, but you can rest assured that if your weight and height are similar to mine, you won't need anything else.

Hope if helps.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You can get a new 2006 Float R custom tuned from PUSH Industries for about the same price as a stock RP3. Personally, I would rather have one custom tuned platform setting than 3 factory settings. Plus the PUSH is going ride better. The PUSH platform is a true slow speed threshold and doesn't increase the compression damping across the whole travel range like the Fox ProPedal.

And you don't necessarily need to get it PUSH'ed right away. Even stock, the latest model Float is going ride much better than what your old Float and will be a huge upgrade.

·
Alpine Rider (Italy)
283 Posts
robhloff said:
so it seems that i might try to upgrade my 02 switchblade by replacing my old float rl with either a new float r or rp3.
do you want a real upgrade? buy an ava sleeve for your old float rl :)
it would be much more compliant than stock rp3 or new float.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
I was considering selling my Rp3 and getting a Pushed '06 float R. One of the guys at Push told me that the Rp3 has a slow speed circuit the R does not. So the R would be harsher on small bumps whether it was Push'd or not. Based on that I decided to keep the Rp3. I've also gotten to enjoy the 3 settings. I pretty much only use the lightest propedal setting, but I also use the + setting whenever I'm on the street and if I were to race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.