Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been on my 5 spot for 2 weeks, and am amazed that even though I feel a real difference between the + and - modes on the Fox RP3 shock, and even though I have been told that when I climb, the sag can be seen more noticablely in the - than +, I DO NOT REALLY FEEL ANY SLOWER IN THE - AS COMPARED TO + ON CLIMBS in seated climbing (which is 95% of my climbing anyhow...).

Is it just me?!?

Cheers,
Tal ;)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
tald said:
Hi,

I have been on my 5 spot for 2 weeks, and am amazed that even though I feel a real difference between the + and - modes on the Fox RP3 shock, and even though I have been told that when I climb, the sag can be seen more noticablely in the - than +, I DO NOT REALLY FEEL ANY SLOWER IN THE - AS COMPARED TO + ON CLIMBS in seated climbing (which is 95% of my climbing anyhow...).

Is it just me?!?

Cheers,
Tal ;)
That makes sense. In the plush mode, the bike will bob more, but it's not due to pedaling forces, it's most do to weight shift while mashing on the pedals. A smooth spin helps in this case.

Also, bobbing doesn't necessarily make you any less efficient. It can be if the bobbing causes you to change cadence, but overall it's not really less efficient. If you're climbing on technical terrain, you'll do better without a stable platform, imo.

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
That makes sense. In the plush mode, the bike will bob more, but it's not due to pedaling forces, it's most do to weight shift while mashing on the pedals. A smooth spin helps in this case.

Also, bobbing doesn't necessarily make you any less efficient. It can be if the bobbing causes you to change cadence, but overall it's not really less efficient. If you're climbing on technical terrain, you'll do better without a stable platform, imo.
I second all that. I always climb the steep stuff in plushest mode and use the + setting only for road riding with some out of the saddle efforts thrown in.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But propedal DID matter in my previous bike - but not in my 5 spot (!?)

The strange thing I forgot to mention in my original question is that on my previous bike - a Specialized S-Works FSR with only 3.5 inches of travel, the RP3 made a HUGE improvement in climbing as compared to a non-Propedal shock, and the RP3 in the + mode made a HUGE in climbing as compared to the - mode. The Specialized FSR just felt really mushy and slow without the + mode. But on the 5 spot, even the '-' setting is a great climber - and that in a 5" (as compared to 3.5" bike...).
So its not merely a theoretical issue of whether bobbing makes a difference in climbing efficiency. It made a huge difference on my previous bike, and it doesn't seem to now...

Tal

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
tald said:
.So its not merely a theoretical issue of whether bobbing makes a difference in climbing efficiency. It made a huge difference on my previous bike, and it doesn't seem to now...

Tal
That's known as the old "Turner magic" :D. Those of us who ride 'em, know it, love it, and are Homers because of it.

BTW, I only ride with my RP3 in the mid or ( - ) settings depending on terrain and if it's technical the ( - ) position seems to dig in and grip bit more............peace.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I left my RP3 in the "-" mode for many months. I could not be bothered to flip it since I did not like the loss of compliance in any regard. Now I am running the Pike and when climbing I switch the compression dampers to offer a bit of platform. Bob seems shifted to the back at that point (or the original activity seems more apparent) so I go to the middle setting for smoother gravel road climbs. I swear the shock also sags less when taken out of "-" mode, which helps counteract the height of my non-lowerable Pike air a tiny bit.

It depends on the fork what feels best in back.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Blue Shorts said:

Ditto that!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hello All,

After a few tries on the hills I've since used the "+" setting only on the street. By design the Turner rear suspension seems so suited to climbing that the middle and "-" setting are outstanding. If I've noticed one downside to climbing in the "-" setting its that I seems to smack my pedals into rocks, roots, waterbars and the like a little more often. I've never done back to back climbs on the same course to try the different settings so maybe its just my imagination. Its never caused me to crash, though. Its just a bit unsettling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.