Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used RP3s on their 2004 Stumpjumpers? If so, would you care to comment on your experience with the shock? Also, is there a major difference between RP3 and Triad? Thanks.

Erwin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff in CO said:
I have just the Propedal rear shock on my 04' however the expert 04' had the RP3 shock. I think the RP3 and Triad are the same shock.
I have a Triad now. I was actually referring to the 2005 RP3, the newer Float without the lockout. The reason why I'm thinking about the RP3 is because of the more linear spring rate it provides. The Triad is a great shock but sometimes I feel that the spring rate is too progressive to the point that it becomes too rough half way down through it's travel. I wanted to get some impressions from those who have tried the RP3 on a 2004 Stumpjumper. Will the shock even fit properly, sizewise?

Thanks
Erwin

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Get your shock Pushed.

Stumpy04 said:
I have a Triad now. I was actually referring to the 2005 RP3, the newer Float without the lockout. The reason why I'm thinking about the RP3 is because of the more linear spring rate it provides. The Triad is a great shock but sometimes I feel that the spring rate is too progressive to the point that it becomes too rough half way down through it's travel. I wanted to get some impressions from those who have tried the RP3 on a 2004 Stumpjumper. Will the shock even fit properly, sizewise?

Thanks
Erwin
Will perform better for you and your bike, and will be alot cheaper than buying a new shock. You won't believe the crap they replace when you have them rebuild your shock.

Note that some have this done to their brand new RP3's.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S-Works said:
Will perform better for you and your bike, and will be alot cheaper than buying a new shock. You won't believe the crap they replace when you have them rebuild your shock.

Note that some have this done to their brand new RP3's.
Thanks. I will look into this option. Do you know what the turnaround time usually is?

·
"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
233 Posts
They are pretty quick

Stumpy04 said:
Thanks. I will look into this option. Do you know what the turnaround time usually is?
I got mine back in about one week. Was not a big deal for me as I had a spare shock.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Stumpy04 said:
They usually take one day to service. So turn around is pretty quick. I think you can call them and ask specifically how long it would take.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
RP3 v Triad

I have a 2004 Stumpy Comp and had the Triad replaced with a RP3 under warranty (Yay!). The Triad developed an internal rattle that could not be located.

The Triad is a nice shock, but I never used the lockout. The RP3 has 3 modes - fully open, medium propedal, and full propedal. There is a decent amount of difference between the 3 modes, and I tend to run in the middle mode most of the time. The Triad's 2 'usable' modes meant I had to make the decision between having too much propedal (a bit harsh on the small stuff), or getting a bit of bob in the fully open mode. The RP3 outperforms the Triad in all modes - it seems plusher over the small stuff, and has an infinite, or bottomless feel to it when bombing down hills. Occasionally the Triad would give a bit of a spike on medium hits, whereas the RP3 seems to soak up everything I can throw at it.

The shock fits straight in without any problems. It's also lighter.

Depending on your budget, the pushed option is definitely worth looking into for your Triad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kiwirider said:
I have a 2004 Stumpy Comp and had the Triad replaced with a RP3 under warranty (Yay!). The Triad developed an internal rattle that could not be located.

The Triad is a nice shock, but I never used the lockout. The RP3 has 3 modes - fully open, medium propedal, and full propedal. There is a decent amount of difference between the 3 modes, and I tend to run in the middle mode most of the time. The Triad?s 2 'usable' modes meant I had to make the decision between having too much propedal (a bit harsh on the small stuff), or getting a bit of bob in the fully open mode. The RP3 outperforms the Triad in all modes - it seems plusher over the small stuff, and has an infinite, or bottomless feel to it when bombing down hills. Occasionally the Triad would give a bit of a spike on medium hits, whereas the RP3 seems to soak up everything I can throw at it.

The shock fits straight in without any problems. It's also lighter.

Depending on your budget, the pushed option is definitely worth looking into for your Triad.
Thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you're saying about the Triad spike. That's what I hate about it. I'm usually running 5 to 10 lbs. less air than what Fox recommends. I will contact Push Ind. tomorrow to find out if they can give me a more linear feel with my Triad. Just like you, I never use shock lockout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.