Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took apart my rear suspension to grease up some potential squeeky areas over the weekend and let the air out of my RP3 in doing so. After I put everything back together I aired up the RP3 back to the psi I normally have found to give me about 25% sag and when I checked the sag it was about 50% at that psi. This is kind of odd.... Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's just my memory of what the psi was or something.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Sounds a little weird.... I could understand that the recently lubed swingarm could move in a smoother fashion, maybe giving a tiny bit of additional sag... but not another 25%.... what pressure R U running?

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
Sounds a little weird.... I could understand that the recently lubed swingarm could move in a smoother fashion, maybe giving a tiny bit of additional sag... but not another 25%.... what pressure R U running?
I thought I was setting it about 135psi or so before, but I could be wrong. I remember others saying they were setting it close to their own weight which I know for sure was never correct for me. I weight about 190 loaded but I'm sure I was never over 150 on that shock. I'll need to set the sag correct and see what the psi is then.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ok.. but yeah.. I am with "near own weight" group, I use about 10-15 psi less than my weight and propedal 2 on my RP23, I don't know how much difference can there be between the RP3 and RP23 sleeves....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
135 psi sounds too low

iviguy said:
I thought I was setting it about 135psi or so before, but I could be wrong. I remember others saying they were setting it close to their own weight which I know for sure was never correct for me. I weight about 190 loaded but I'm sure I was never over 150 on that shock. I'll need to set the sag correct and see what the psi is then.
Mine is at about 175psi and I should be 190pound with gear.
Set it right and tell us what you found vs, weight.
Cheers
GB

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey Ivi,
I think you must be misremembering your old psi. I weigh about 205 w/ gear, and I run 190- 200 psi on my Rp3.

Or could it be that you lubed something that was creating some sticition? Hmm, might be time for a test ride.

Ant

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
That sounds like what happened to me when I got the dreaded "stuck-down" syndrom on my RP3. Either I got real heavy or it took a lot more air to give me any kind of travel on the shock. I'm sure I was running about 150 when the shock died, now with the new RP23 I have 200 pounds and it seems like it needs more when it's not in the propedal setting. I can't seem to get any more air in it with my shock pump, it's not the best. FWIW, I'm about 205 pounds plus Camelback.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Big Jim Mac said:
That sounds like what happened to me when I got the dreaded "stuck-down" syndrom on my RP3. Either I got real heavy or it took a lot more air to give me any kind of travel on the shock. I'm sure I was running about 150 when the shock died, now with the new RP23 I have 200 pounds and it seems like it needs more when it's not in the propedal setting. I can't seem to get any more air in it with my shock pump, it's not the best. FWIW, I'm about 205 pounds plus Camelback.
Big Jim is right, that's another possibility....

Iviguy, is the shock completely extended "at rest"? If not pump it to 200-250 psi and check... however from your description it would appear the pressure is too low... but might as well give it a shot...

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GreenBonty said:
Mine is at about 175psi and I should be 190pound with gear.
Set it right and tell us what you found vs, weight.
Cheers
GB
I set it to sag last night and for 25% sag the PSI is 150. I weigh 190 dressed.

What exactly is the "stuck down" issue.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big Jim Mac said:
Can you explain what the stuck down issue was? I have heard people say that they had that issue but I always invisioned that the shock was simply stuck in the down position and would not move. Is that not the case?

Pretty much everyone I have see talk about the psi in their RP3's are saying they put in about their weight in psi. That has NEVER been the case with this RP3. My weight is about 190 and when I was running 20% sag the psi was never over 160. It's at 150psi for about 25% sag. I also haven't been able to get that same suspension feeling I got from the first 575 I demo'd where the trail totally disappeared. I kind of attributed that to stuff like tires and not having a vanilla on the front but maybe there's something more going on.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
iviguy said:
I set it to sag last night and for 25% sag the PSI is 150. I weigh 190 dressed.

What exactly is the "stuck down" issue.
That pressure sounds more like it...

A Fox shock is stuck down when it doesn't extend completely, namely one of the internal seals shifts or moves, allowing air from the main air chamber to pass to the negative one and raising its pressure, so the shock cannot extend fully as it normally would because the negative air spring "pulls it down"

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crisillo said:
That pressure sounds more like it...

A Fox shock is stuck down when it doesn't extend completely, namely one of the internal seals shifts or moves, allowing air from the main air chamber to pass to the negative one and raising its pressure, so the shock cannot extend fully as it normally would....
Ok, I'll have to measure the full extension and see if the shaft is 2" extended. Maybe this shock doesn't have enough negative pressure which is why it takes less air to get the 25% sag for me. That might explain why it seems like its not as smoothe as it should be too.

Does Yeti calibrate the RP3 specific for their 575's? This bike did come with the DHX Air and when I ordered it I requested the RP3 instead. Is it possible that the RP3 that was put on it was not one calibrated for the Yeti?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
iviguy said:
Ok, I'll have to measure the full extension and see if the shaft is 2" extended. Maybe this shock doesn't have enough negative pressure which is why it takes less air to get the 25% sag for me. That might explain why it seems like its not as smoothe as it should be too.

Does Yeti calibrate the RP3 specific for their 575's? This bike did come with the DHX Air and when I ordered it I requested the RP3 instead. Is it possible that the RP3 that was put on it was not one calibrated for the Yeti?
While it could be possible, there are 2 things, I am not sure if Yeti asks Fox for any custom valving (besides the propedal strength [3 bar graph on the underside of the shock]) and, second, I doubt Will would set you up with the wrong shock ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You are close to me

iviguy said:
Can you explain what the stuck down issue was? I have heard people say that they had that issue but I always invisioned that the shock was simply stuck in the down position and would not move. Is that not the case?

Pretty much everyone I have see talk about the psi in their RP3's are saying they put in about their weight in psi. That has NEVER been the case with this RP3. My weight is about 190 and when I was running 20% sag the psi was never over 160. It's at 150psi for about 25% sag. I also haven't been able to get that same suspension feeling I got from the first 575 I demo'd where the trail totally disappeared. I kind of attributed that to stuff like tires and not having a vanilla on the front but maybe there's something more going on.
I did not mention that I run 20% or less sag. I still like the Xish mode and have no problems using full travel with this set up.
As said before I am using about 175psi and weigh about 190.
So it is close to yours I guess.
:thumbsup: go ride and forget all these numbers, or maybe you elaborate on the numbers since the trails are wet or snowy in your area.
Cheers
GB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.