Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list or a link to one of the available sizes of RP3, DHX and DHX air?

_MK

·
Registered
868 Posts
MK_ said:
Does anyone have a list or a link to one of the available sizes of RP3, DHX and DHX air?

_MK
The DHX and RP3 should be listed on fox's page for sizes so try there.

As far as the DHX Air someone posted the sizes, although I can't find it anymore. I don't know if it was taken down or if I am not looking hard enough.

I think they were:
7.5x2.0
7.875x2.0
8.5x2.5
8.75x2.5 (I don't know why this is not like the 8.75x2.75 standard)
9.0x3.0

Although these may not be right. I am sure about the 8.75 and the 7.875, or at least that was what the guy listed because those are the ones I would care about.

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Thanks. I am secretly hoping for a 7.5x2.25. I looked at Fox's site and owner's manual and can't find the sizes.

_MK

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
MK_ said:
Alright. Thanks. I am secretly hoping for a 7.5x2.25. I looked at Fox's site and owner's manual and can't find the sizes.

_MK
I saw the previous post also. I think the DHX air also comes in 7.85 x 2.25

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The RP3 does not come in 7.875 x 2.25, but the DHX does. Dunno about the DHX Air. No such thing as a 7.5 x 2.25 afaik, unless it is some weird custom size for a specific model bike.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
You'll smack your pedals out kid...

...if you're gonna put that on your Spot :p With the 7.5x2, you've only got about .25" pedal clearance when you're bottomed out (175mm cranks)--and that's center BB to center pedal spindle.

MK_ said:
Alright. Thanks. I am secretly hoping for a 7.5x2.25. I looked at Fox's site and owner's manual and can't find the sizes._MK
I'm hoping for a lightweight 7.875 x 2.25 air shock. That'll raise the BB (with a Z1/Nixon/DUC32) about .5 - .75" and hopefully solve my constant bashing-of-the-pedals problem. With a Nixon (hold yer Nixon bashing please), it'll also give me a 5.7 front/5.6 rear travel bike. Yeah, it'll change the rocker angles too, but I think it'll just stiffen up the ride slightly--I could be wrong though. Ahh...the dangers of experimenting.

Or I could just get a faster engaging hub and learn to balance and ratchet. :D

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coolhandluchs said:
...if you're gonna put that on your Spot :p With the 7.5x2, you've only got about .25" pedal clearance when you're bottomed out (175mm cranks)--and that's center BB to center pedal spindle.
Is that with a recommended fork AC, like a Vanilla? Besides, have you ever landed a drop mid pedal stroke? with one leg up and the other one down? ;)

_MK

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
MK_ said:
Is that with a recommended fork AC, like a Vanilla? Besides, have you ever landed a drop mid pedal stroke? with one leg up and the other one down? ;) _MK
I think I figured it out with a Vanilla. Of course, I'm not the world's greatest math whiz either :rolleyes: Even with the regular shock, you'd smack the pedals at full compression anyway--there's no way that a mtn pedal is only a 1/4 inch deep from spindle center. And, no, I don't land with one pedal down, at least not on purpose :p

My concern's always been with climbing over things. On techy climbs, I ALWAYS (as in 100% of the time) catch a pedal and stall out. I have a big problems with this, a lot of others don't, so I know most of it's my fault. With a shock that's the same overall length but with more stroke travel, you'll be running more sag, which translates to a lower sagged BB height, which means, if you ride like me, you'll whack the pedals even more on climbs. (110% of the time :confused: ) And before anybody asks, I'm running 25% sag, and I'm not increasing air pressure any more, the ride's nice where it is.

Anyway, it's all good. I could try going back to 2.35 Kendas and get a longer AC fork, but I don't have any money, so I won't be experimenting anytiime soon ;) Guess I'll just have to learn how to ride. :D

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coolhandluchs said:
...With a shock that's the same overall length but with more stroke travel, you'll be running more sag...
That's a good point, I came to a Spot from a Burner which had a lower BB. I did smack my pedals more, but it wasn't that dramatic, something I would need to work on, most likely. All in all, this is just a thought, because if that shock does in fact exist in DHX flavor it will still be a difficult decision to make due to weight at the very least. I was inspiered by an ad in the classifieds for the Vanilla RC in the desired dimension by a sponsored Turner rider who had it on his 5 Spot.

_MK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.