Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Titus MotoLite from about 2006 or 7. I don't have the original shock, but instead a RP2. I'm about to do the first service on it (it's been on the bike 2 years and I don't ride it enough).

I've never found the shock to work that well, and I believe having the Titus 'custom valving' might help, but I dont understand what parts are changed, and how to check what I have. Can someone help?

I'm in the UK, and to get the shock serviced and valving done, is about $US180 ... but for $400 (maybe less) I can buy a 2010 RP23 with the right valving. My plan is to service mine, if I can change the valves (and buy new ones) then change it to Titus spec ones and see. If it's not good, then sell the RP2 ($US100 - $150 on ebay in the uk) and buy a new 2010 RP23 from the US. That's end up costing me not too much more than paying mojo to tune my 2007 (I think) RP2.

Please help.

-Chris

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
stillkeen said:
I have a Titus MotoLite from about 2006 or 7. I don't have the original shock, but instead a RP2. I'm about to do the first service on it (it's been on the bike 2 years and I don't ride it enough).

I've never found the shock to work that well, and I believe having the Titus 'custom valving' might help, but I dont understand what parts are changed, and how to check what I have. Can someone help?

I'm in the UK, and to get the shock serviced and valving done, is about $US180 ... but for $400 (maybe less) I can buy a 2010 RP23 with the right valving. My plan is to service mine, if I can change the valves (and buy new ones) then change it to Titus spec ones and see. If it's not good, then sell the RP2 ($US100 - $150 on ebay in the uk) and buy a new 2010 RP23 from the US. That's end up costing me not too much more than paying mojo to tune my 2007 (I think) RP2.

Please help.

-Chris
Get is Pushed from TFtuned (http://www.tftunedshox.com/). At the same time, switch to the HV can. These two things will dramatically alter the ride of the bike (for the better). Don't waste you money on a new shock. Trust me, I have a 2007 ML.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

1) How do I tell if I already have the high volume air can? (As my RP2 came from a different bike, so I don't know it's spec's).
2) We have Mojo in the UK, not Push ... basically the same thing. It's just the economics of it all though.

New 2010 RP23 with correct Titus valving and new bushes is $US400.
My 2007 RP2 sent to Mojo for service + valving + propedal (currently its the middle propedal model, which could be correct) + air can = about $200 + aircan. If I sell my RP2 for $100 - 150 (which they do go for here), then it'd only cost me $50 - 100 to get the latest and correct shock.

3) Now that I've got the RP2 apart, is there a way to tell what valving it has? It could have the correct valving anyway, in which case I just put it back together with new seals and I'm away.

Thanks.

-Chris

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I'd first like to understand what shock I have and what Titus spec on the MotoLite. I appreciate that a custom tuned shock for my weight, bike and riding style, is impossible to beat in a factory shock. However, I've not tried the bike with a Fox RP2/3/23 with the correct specifications yet, and I assume that from 2007 - 2010 they have made some improvements (plus I'd be getting the 23 rather than a 2). (this assumes I need to change valving/propedal/aircan size).

Dose anyone know where the 'custom valving' is in the shock, and if there is anyway to see (when the shock is apart for a airsleeve service) what valving it has? It only has the propedal sticker on the outside stating it's the middle level of propedal.

What about aircan size? How do I confirm that I have a 'standard' aircan?

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
stillkeen said:
Thanks.

I'd first like to understand what shock I have and what Titus spec on the MotoLite. I appreciate that a custom tuned shock for my weight, bike and riding style, is impossible to beat in a factory shock. However, I've not tried the bike with a Fox RP2/3/23 with the correct specifications yet, and I assume that from 2007 - 2010 they have made some improvements (plus I'd be getting the 23 rather than a 2). (this assumes I need to change valving/propedal/aircan size).

Dose anyone know where the 'custom valving' is in the shock, and if there is anyway to see (when the shock is apart for a airsleeve service) what valving it has? It only has the propedal sticker on the outside stating it's the middle level of propedal.

What about aircan size? How do I confirm that I have a 'standard' aircan?

Thanks,

-Chris
The custom valving that Fox offers is simply a choice of compression and rebound settings. It is nothing like what the Push mod does. TFtuned does offer the Push modification, just check out the web-site.

If you have a HV sleeve, it will say it on the can. No ML ever came with the HV can as stock, so I doubt you have one.

Depending upon your weight, I would not recommend the HV can without getting the shock pushed.

Honestly, any improvements that Fox has made with the Float series shocks, are minor compared to the improvements that Push will give you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

My RP2 didnt come on the MotoLite, it was off another unknown frame. My frame came with a Swinger 3 Way - Coil. It was a demo bike for someone. I am feeling mighty silly now, as my air can clearly says 'High Volume' on the outside ... opps.

Reading the Push website, they:

# Installation of PUSH VxRII High Flow Piston
# Compression Revalve
# Rebound Revalve

Titus specified certain compression and rebound valving (which I'd really like to know what the values were), and Push will have choosen some compression and rebound values too (maybe even the same as Titus ... I'd love to know), but the VxRII High Flow Piston ... what is that?

It is my guess that Fox produce compression and rebound valves (although I don't know quite where they are and what the look like) in a dozen sizes. Titus choose some, so does everyone else with 'custom valving'. Given I don't know what is currently in my RP2, my first step is simply to find out what I have, which I still don't know how to do.

If I was to get the 2010 RP23, it would also allow an extra mode of operation, which could come in handy, as currently I seem to have uber stiff with propedal on and then uber soft with propedal off.

Thanks, I'm glad the High Volume question is answered. Interestingly Push only sell high volume air cans in 200x50 RP2/3 sleeves.

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just read on the UK website that the big difference is the platform ... the Push removes the 'indexed' feel the platform can give (I hadnt noticed, but wasnt looking for that).

Does anyone know what this clip does? I don't want to play too hard with it incase I break it.

-chris

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
stillkeen said:
Just read on the UK website that the big difference is the platform ... the Push removes the 'indexed' feel the platform can give (I hadnt noticed, but wasnt looking for that).

Does anyone know what this clip does? I don't want to play too hard with it incase I break it.

-chris
The HV can is actually made up of the main air can with a small sleeve that makes the HV can. That ring holds the large sleeve onto the main air can.

Most after market RP2 and RP23 shocks are medium compression and medium rebound. The current FTM uses a high compression and low rebound shock. However, I have seen them with low compression as well.

The Push mod made propedel useful for me. Before the mod, PP was great for minimizing bob but it made the whole ride very stiff. After Push mods the shock, the PP still minimizes bob but makes the ride smoother and allows the shock to break nicely into its travel.

Also, how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Currently I'm a little heavier than usual ... so prob 200 lbs I hope to be down to 180 again at some point.

The shock I've got came from a bicycle importer, so not a after market shock as such, but one that I don't know what frame they intended it to go on.

Are there only 3 levels of compression and rebound (low, med, high)?

Currently I can't get the shock to be adjusted to be 'trail riding' with propedal off and 'climbing/smooth trail' with propedal on. What you describe does sound ideal. It strikes me as being odd that Fox havent adjusted their shocks in later years to achieve what Push does.

I've put the seal kit back into my shock and mounted it on the bike again. I'll have a good play with it this week and then decide what to do. I should have decided about the Push thing before installing the new seal kit.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
stillkeen said:
Currently I'm a little heavier than usual ... so prob 200 lbs I hope to be down to 180 again at some point.

The shock I've got came from a bicycle importer, so not a after market shock as such, but one that I don't know what frame they intended it to go on.

Are there only 3 levels of compression and rebound (low, med, high)?

Currently I can't get the shock to be adjusted to be 'trail riding' with propedal off and 'climbing/smooth trail' with propedal on. What you describe does sound ideal. It strikes me as being odd that Fox havent adjusted their shocks in later years to achieve what Push does.

I've put the seal kit back into my shock and mounted it on the bike again. I'll have a good play with it this week and then decide what to do. I should have decided about the Push thing before installing the new seal kit.

Thanks,
Yup, only three levels.

Also, you may be too heavy for the HV can on the ML. I hate to say it, but at your weight, I bet the shock wallows a bit and you probably have no real mid-support and blow through travel way to easily.

I am also 200 lbs and want to get down to 180 as well. Wife said I could get a new bike if I loose 20 lbs. Diet is started!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it's new air can + Push. Now we're back to 70% the cost of a new rp23.

I need to lose the weight. I need motivation to do it, and saving buying a new air can (and new suit, as my 2000 suit doesn't fit now) might just be what I need.

I do find it hard to get the shock plush & not blow thru the travel.

Putting new cables on the bike, and will then set up the shock & see. I do like the sound ( not the cost though ) of a pushed shock. Unfortunately ive overspent this Christmas and won't be able to afford pushing until the summer.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
I would call Push and ask them their opinion. Even though it's a bit like asking a barber if you need a haircut. From what I gather the MotoLite can work well with either the HV or standard can. I tried a DHX-Air on my MotoLite for several months, which has a similar compression curve to the Float with a HV canister. While the downhills were sweet, I couldn't stand how little mid-stroke support I got. I'd use 80% of my travel while climbing something steep. I ended up selling the DHX and going back to the standard volume can.

I discovered by accident the bike rode better with a bit more sag (30%). It felt lower and plusher, but the lack of mid-stroke became an issue again. So I sent it in to Push, telling them that I wanted to run at 30% sag. Sure enough, the shock came back a week later, and it's been a love affair ever since. The ride is smoother than before, but with minimal squat.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
stillkeen said:

-chris
The clip is an insurance protection against the outer can (high volume sleeve) from poping out or sliding down. If you were to remove the outer sleeve can, what remains look like the shock to the left with one small pin hole on the top of the main chamber.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
hv

Vespasianus said:
Get is Pushed from TFtuned (http://www.tftunedshox.com/). At the same time, switch to the HV can. These two things will dramatically alter the ride of the bike (for the better). Don't waste you money on a new shock. Trust me, I have a 2007 ML.
I'm 200 as well.. for jumps I like the way the stock can ramps up at the end, but it cn't keep up at high speed. Rocky downhill sections are a little harsh.

Does your seatstay bridge contact the seat tube on a hard landing with the hv can?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info.

I could feel what felt like a small hole inside the can, so I'm guessing that's the hole to the HV area?

I have just purchased a new road frame, and also have two big expenses coming up in Janurary, so it will be March/April before I can affod to get the Push treatment. If they can get the HV RP2 to work for me as good as any other RP shock, then I'll do it. If the HV can is a problem and I'd be having a compromised solution, then I'll eBay it and get a RP23 with the Titus valving and try that for a while.

Thanks again,

-Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.