Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have trouble with clearance attaching their shock pump to the rp23 shraeder valve on the newer 208,9,10 frames? ( is it close enough that you could imagine it? )

My pump has a slightly graduated end, and I can not fully screw it on when the bike shock is fully extended. just a mm or two more space is needed.

My setup may be slightly different than normal, I have a new front triangle and an older ( 07 ) rear triangle.

Just curious if its just me.

·
EDR
10,421 Posts
Is the shock installed upside down (for a 575)? The valve should be pointing towards the ground and the PP and rebound knobs should be towards the downtube. If your rp23 is the same as mine (mine is an '08) then the valve points to the drive side and slightly downward. Zero chance of any interference.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe this will help explain

This one shows the gap really well, its very small ( above the schraeder valve )

This one does not really help. Maybe you can see how there are little "steps" on my shock pump connector. The second step hits the frame and so you can't screw it on far enough to pump up the shock.

Here's a really crappy one ( wouldn't focus, cheap digicam ) of the pump, trying to show the "steps" ( arrow points at second "step" that hits the frame. can't be more than a mm thicker than the first part )

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eatdrinkride said:
Is the shock installed upside down (for a 575)? The valve should be pointing towards the ground and the PP and rebound knobs should be towards the downtube. If your rp23 is the same as mine (mine is an '08) then the valve points to the drive side and slightly downward. Zero chance of any interference.
my shock is probably an '07 .... as the original bike was an '07. The pics show it better. Doubt its upside down. I'm guessing its a function of the 07/08 mismatched front and rear parts.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dvo1 said:
The newer RP23 shocks have the air valve mounted at an angle, sorry Charlie, not much you can do.
aye. trying to figure out how to hold the bike minimally compressed while I pump it up. ( say like Arnie ) I pumped it up yesterday, but realized that I was letting the frame push on the valve .... which is probably terrible for the shock, and could hurt it, so I want to avoid that in the future.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zanetti said:
Just a quick thought... automotive valve extender.

Something like this:

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(emcqxl45qd3srzixwqcu1ab5)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998016489

It might not work, but could be worth a try.
Yeah, i was wondering if there was something like that. I can't get the ACE site to show me a good picture, but if its thin enough, it might work.

found a pic of something like this, have to go down to PEP boys or NAPA and track one down. Again, will be a matter of how thin it is at the connection...

thx

·
Registered
851 Posts
So I had my front triangle replaced under warranty and I'm running an RP3 shock; which should put the valve in the same spot, and its tight on mine as well. With that said I lucked out, my shock pump clears albeit just barely. If your pump isn't getting the job done you may want to stop at the LBS and try a few of theirs...

·
Registered
54 Posts
U guys might try the Topeak Pocket Shock pump. It has a very slim valve head. When i changed the rockers on my bike, i could not fit the regular Fox pump onto my older Dhx
air shock. With this Topeak shock, the problem was solved.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
agabriel said:
So I had my front triangle replaced under warranty and I'm running an RP3 shock; which should put the valve in the same spot, and its tight on mine as well. With that said I lucked out, my shock pump clears albeit just barely. If your pump isn't getting the job done you may want to stop at the LBS and try a few of theirs...
thanks for the info - I am happy to know its in the right spot, even if the clearance is tight!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crisillo said:
yeah..I this case the gonzo valve might be a great solution.
It works great on my Salty (the "recommended" position is pointed down, but in my case "up" was better)

so this gonzo valve, it actually replaces the existing schraeder post in the shock? I can see how the post is mounted to what looks like some sort of hex nut....I assume you can just unscrew and replace with the gonzo?

I'll look for a cheap automotive extender first...I am a cheapatarian at heart, and I only need an extender at home in the shop, not on the trail. Once I set the pressure, I mostly leave it alone.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ericlankton said:
on a separate question... are there any major differences between the '09 and '10 frames? Why would the '09 be more expensive on jensonusa? I'm looking to buy and just not sure.
Pretty sure all the posts i've read here say color options are the only difference.

there's a thread about pricing somewhere too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.