Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm picking up a intense 6.6 and was considering the RP23 vs DHX 5.0. i'm about 200 lbs fully geared up and be my allround bike so the shock would need some decent platform for long california deathmarches. issues, benefits, negatives between the two besides weight and compression settings?

also does the RP23 have a more progressive rate than a DHX with compression fully open? that's what i'm guessing because of the smaller air volume. i've heard also that DHX users on DW link and VPP almost always leave compression at full open for shuttling...thoughtS?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
RP23 is more progressive due to smaller air volume, but you can buy the larger sleeves.

I have a Titus Motolite and RP23 and keep low speed compression 75% of time set on the "off" position (very low setting). These are already the 1 bar (low valving) to begin with. I have a large air sleeve (and stock) and makes it overall much better, but bottoms out on drops being so much more linear.

The DHX Air has bottom out adjustment so that is good if you like bigger drops and jumps. Some say it has mid-stroke wallow which isn't the greatest climbing, but this would be a bit sensitive to suspension design tuning. Rebound is speed sensitive which is great, and is much more tuning options. I wouldn't think you could notice the extra weight.

This question may be best answered by people who ride a 6.6

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
You might want to consider the new Manitou Evolver ISX-6. Intense has even started spec'ing their 6.6 with this shock because it may be a perfect match to VPP and other pedal efficient suspension designs. I have one that's going on my Nomad. It has no pedal platform, has a higher quality damping unit, high/low external compression adjusters, adjustable bottomout by pressure and volume adjusters, and no SPV. After running a couple of 4-Way Air units on Bullits, I have to admit that I've had better luck with reliability with the Manitou shocks than the two DHXA units I have and the two DHX coil units that I had and sold.

After running a PUSH'd Fox RC coil on my Nomad, I gotta admit that I just don't believe the VPP design needs a stable platform shock. This new Evolver is supposed to be the first real big hit air shock for truly aggressive use. It seems to have all the right stuff, so soon I'll be able to see if it's true. I'm waiting for Manitou to send the right shock eye spacers at the moment, as the Nomad uses a not-so-common 3/8" thru-bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TNC said:
You might want to consider the new Manitou Evolver ISX-6. Intense has even started spec'ing their 6.6 with this shock because it may be a perfect match to VPP and other pedal efficient suspension designs. I have one that's going on my Nomad. It has no pedal platform, has a higher quality damping unit, high/low external compression adjusters, adjustable bottomout by pressure and volume adjusters, and no SPV. After running a couple of 4-Way Air units on Bullits, I have to admit that I've had better luck with reliability with the Manitou shocks than the two DHXA units I have and the two DHX coil units that I had and sold.

After running a PUSH'd Fox RC coil on my Nomad, I gotta admit that I just don't believe the VPP design needs a stable platform shock. This new Evolver is supposed to be the first real big hit air shock for truly aggressive use. It seems to have all the right stuff, so soon I'll be able to see if it's true. I'm waiting for Manitou to send the right shock eye spacers at the moment, as the Nomad uses a not-so-common 3/8" thru-bolt.
interesting...i'm glad to hear the rp23 is more progressive. i'll look into the evolver too.

tnc how do you like the coil vs air on your vpp? i've tried a romic on mine and it's really plush! i just might want to go coil all the time, roco tst R. thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I own a ML and both a RP23 and a DHX 5.0 (Coil, I guess that All Mountain's one is an Air). Playing with DHX piggy back air pressure as well as bottom out control, I would say that you can make the DHX as or much more progressive than RP23. RP23 ProPedal is much firmer (even on position 1, which is its lowest setting), but I guess that it's not really important for you, because of the VPP design.

What I have found is that ProPedal to Open transition is almost seamless on the DHX, but much more noticeable on the RP23 (even more when on positions 2 or 3).

According to other people on these forums (take a look at Turner Forums, you'll find plenty of reviews and comments there), they are really pleased with theirs Pushed DHX's (they say it's day and night difference), but then, for around an extra hundred bucks, I'd prefer a Cane Creek Double Barrel rather than a Pushed DHX.

As mentioned by TNC, the new ISX-6 is a new contender to be considered, but I'd prefer to wait some time (a year?) to heard (know) a little more about its performance / reliability.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tavinho said:
I own a ML and both a RP23 and a DHX 5.0 (Coil, I guess that All Mountain's one is an Air). Playing with DHX piggy back air pressure as well as bottom out control, I would say that you can make the DHX as or much more progressive than RP23. RP23 ProPedal is much firmer (even on position 1, which is its lowest setting), but I guess that it's not really important for you, because of the VPP design.

What I have found is that ProPedal to Open transition is almost seamless on the DHX, but much more noticeable on the RP23 (even more when on positions 2 or 3).

According to other people on these forums (take a look at Turner Forums, you'll find plenty of reviews and comments there), they are really pleased with theirs Pushed DHX's (they say it's day and night difference), but then, for around an extra hundred bucks, I'd prefer a Cane Creek Double Barrel rather than a Pushed DHX.

As mentioned by TNC, the new ISX-6 is a new contender to be considered, but I'd prefer to wait some time (a year?) to heard (know) a little more about its performance / reliability.
yes i agree, i've noticed a big difference between the 1,2, and 3 settings on the RP23 propedal. pretty nice.

question though, i'm trying to get about 30% sag 0.675"/17mm on a 2.25"/57mm stroke shock. I'm about 200 lbs total rider weight, and the shock @ 210 psi is still giving me almost 40% sag. does this sound right? i don't remember fox shox needing this much air pressure. is there a good ratio for the RP23 on a 6.6?

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
misctwo said:
yes i agree, i've noticed a big difference between the 1,2, and 3 settings on the RP23 propedal. pretty nice.

question though, i'm trying to get about 30% sag 0.675"/17mm on a 2.25"/57mm stroke shock. I'm about 200 lbs total rider weight, and the shock @ 210 psi is still giving me almost 40% sag. does this sound right? i don't remember fox shox needing this much air pressure. is there a good ratio for the RP23 on a 6.6?
I just bought a new Ventana El Ciclon with a RP23 w/high volume sleeve. I'm still dialing in the settings but notice a big difference between my RP3 spare shock. I'm 205 lbs and have the shock set between 175-200 psi. I like the way Fox set up the RP23 pro/pedal or full open then three different settings. Whereas the RP3 had three settings and out on the trail toggling between them was a chore in certain situations. I say RP23 w/high volume sleeve....go big!

·
Registered
169 Posts
misctwo said:

Weird, I'm around 180 with everything on, but I'm just using 130 psi on my RP23 and getting 30% sag. I know that leverage ratio could affect a little how much pressure the shock needs in order to get a given sag depending on the bike suspension design, but I don't think it could affect that much.

By the way, and just for your reference, mine is the one with the smaller sleeve and lowest level of Propedal valving.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Tavinho said:
Weird, I'm around 180 with everything on, but I'm just using 130 psi on my RP23 and getting 30% sag. I know that leverage ratio could affect a little how much pressure the shock needs in order to get a given sag depending on the bike suspension design, but I don't think it could affect that much.

By the way, and just for your reference, mine is the one with the smaller sleeve and lowest level of Propedal valving.
Actually, I consider the leverage ratio the biggerst factor on this...as example.. on my Epic I needed about haft the pressure that I do now on my 575 to get the same percentage of sag (The Epic sags after a minute sitting on it)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.