Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been having a noise that I was not able to pin point on my bike. I got a little excessive and took most of the easier piviot locations that were easy to access off or lubed them then checked torque of everything. I know that took care of some of the stuff that I was hearing. Now I think that I have another noise that I am not sure is normal. When I push down quickly on my seat I can hear a squish/girgle type of noise from the rear shock. I am sure some of that may be normal as there is oil in there, but just wondering if you guys can hear yours that much? Hope this is not a silly question..thanks for your help as always.

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
If the sound is "low" it could be just the oil moving through the circuit.... this is quite normal... if the sound is enough to distract you riding or so... it might be something else...or at least time for a sleeve maintenance

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is pretty noticable from when I am riding as well. Maybe I will try to find a bike shop around that has some bike with an rp23 and listen to that? The bike is only a few weeks old, not sure if it would need sleeve maintainence yet?

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I might be going out on a limb here but Im willing to bet that there is nothing wrong with your shock. I noticed the same thing when my shock was new. I dont know if I was just listening to every little sound(as we tend to do with new stuff) or if it was the shock breaking in. Give it a few weeks of riding and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
DanielM3 said:
I think it is pretty noticable from when I am riding as well. Maybe I will try to find a bike shop around that has some bike with an rp23 and listen to that? The bike is only a few weeks old, not sure if it would need sleeve maintainence yet?
yep, seems like sleeve maintenance is out of question.... it could also just be that the shock is noisier because the weather is colder so the oil moves slower and sounds more... just another idea..

·
sam575
163 Posts
Hey boys, I had the same problem with my RP3 when I first bought my 575...so I emailed Yeti for some answers. If you're suffering from the same problem, this quick-fix should work.

Here's my communication with them...

My question:

Hey, just wondering if you guys can help me out with a few questions about my 575.

1. from the day I purchased it (Feb this year), the RP3 shock has made a squelchy noise. My guess is that somehow air has mixed with the oil. I feel it is slightly hindering the performance of the shock, not to mention the annoying sound it makes. How can I fix this problem?

2. I was considering the DHX air upgrade on my 575. Is there a noticable difference in performance when compared to the RP3?

Thanks! Sam

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeti Answers:
1. We have found that more to be a seal issue than a mixing of the air/oil in the chamber. To alleviate the squeak remove the air pressure from the shock, unthread the air canister and apply Fox Float Fluid. This should solve the issue.

2. I would recommend staying with the rp3. The DHX Air is a great shock, but don't think it is worth the upgrade fee. Plus you can keep the water bottle mount with rp3, there is no room with the dhx 5.0

Craig Grant: Marketing/Technical
p.303.278.6909x1000
f.303.278.6906

Yeti Cycles: HandBuilt RaceBred
600 Corporate Circle, Unit D
Golden, CO 80401

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
DanielM3 said:
Are you sure it's the RP23? I have the RS Revelation as my fork and if I have the compression set too high it will make that noise. It's pretty distracting. The fox shock is silent but the fork can make some loud sounds.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rp23

Yeah I am sure it is the rp23. I have a Pike 454 fork.

I really do not think the sound I have is normal, but not sure really what to do about it.

My settings are pretty normal, so I do not think that is it. Set sag, pressure is just over my weight to get at that, rebound is not at one extreme or other.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
DanielM3 said:
Yeah I am sure it is the rp23. I have a Pike 454 fork.

I really do not think the sound I have is normal, but not sure really what to do about it.

My settings are pretty normal, so I do not think that is it. Set sag, pressure is just over my weight to get at that, rebound is not at one extreme or other.
The Pike is pretty much the same as the Revelation. Check the pic below. You can adjust the flood gate (small dial) and the compression dial and I guarantee you will make the sloshing sound you are talking about. I have mine set just on the cusp of that sound. Might be worth a shot to see if this is what you are hearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info...but my shock is for sure making the noise. it is very consistent and easy to tell it is from the shock body.

I do know of the fork noise that you mention and anjusted to eliminate that

·
Registered
9 Posts
DanielM3 said:
thanks for the info...but my shock is for sure making the noise. it is very consistent and easy to tell it is from the shock body.

I do know of the fork noise that you mention and anjusted to eliminate that
I also have an RP23 that has been making a squish noise. It also seems to be louder when the shock sleeve is dry or (wet with water). If I coat the sleeve in oil, it goes away, for a while.

I thought the seals were dry so had it serviced but its come back within a few rides. I'm going to have another look at it today.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Roost said:
I also have an RP23 that has been making a squish noise. It also seems to be louder when the shock sleeve is dry or (wet with water). If I coat the sleeve in oil, it goes away, for a while.

I thought the seals were dry so had it serviced but its come back within a few rides. I'm going to have another look at it today.
The sleeve is supposed to have a small film of oil on it. If you are using some kind of degreaser on the shock which is taking that oil off then that may be why you are hearing the noise. It's designed to have a small amount of oil on it.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
iviguy said:
The sleeve is supposed to have a small film of oil on it. If you are using some kind of degreaser on the shock which is taking that oil off then that may be why you are hearing the noise. It's designed to have a small amount of oil on it.
Iviguy is right on this one... that is the reason a small pillow of float fluid comes with the seal kit, you add some oil in the chamber to love the seals and the shocks stroke.... I use silicone spray on my fork stanchions and on the shock stroke and have had no issues so far (it is what marzocchi recommended in their user manual, I just kept on doing it on my RS forks too ;) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.