Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 stumpy elite with the brain and am thinking of getting a rp23 to replace the brain has anyone done this and how much did you pay? I know i have to get one that accepts the yoke and my travel will be longer but im just not thrilled with my brain shock so far . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was pricing an SJ build and wanted to swap out the EVO shock as well. Note these prices reflect a bike build. My shop said
"Specialized does not have an EVO conversion kit for the Stumpjumper, only the Enduro; we may be able to piece it together as they have the EVO shock available for $300, not sure about the link. A new Fox RP2 or RP23 shock would run you about $350."

To get the spesh specific shock, I think you will need to work through a dealer. I wish this was clearer, I'm assuming my shop thought they could either get the EVO Shock from spesh or a standard shock from Fox, not sure they were thinkign that the shock is specific.

THe EVO shock in 2011 was 2" stroke vs 1.9" for non-EvO and the brain and that is where the travel came from. In 2012 they introduced the EVO link and the stroke listed for all shocks is 2", but with no change in travel on the non-evo bikes. So its all a little confusing.

Its even worse with the 29 SJ's. Let us know what you end up with, I'm no piecing a 29 build and I feel like I will want to replace the brain as well.

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
I must say the RP23 on my EVO 29er is light years ahead of my last RP23, and that was sent to PUSH. The new propedal design works wonderfully.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The difference between 140 and 150mm happens in the shock link alone.
Evo and non-evo have the same shock stroke.

In other words, if you swap the shock alone, the travel stays the same.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The difference between 140 and 150mm happens in the shock link alone.
Evo and non-evo have the same shock stroke.

In other words, if you swap the shock alone, the travel stays the same.
^Thanks that's good to know^ Much appreciated Guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
From all the research I"ve done know there is no such product. WHen I get my new bike I will be looking at how this goes together and may try to machine something up, but I am more interested in machining my own swing link to slightly increase travel without lowering the BB/head angle. Either project would be too expensive for most though, I would guess that machining up a one time prototype for either would be around $400.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ive got a 2" stroke with the yoke RP23 for the Stumpy lined up for $399 :thumbsup:
Thanks for the replies:)

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
is it possible to fit an aftermarket shock (ie. CCDB air or BOS vip'r) to the proprietary shock yoke?
after doing some diggin - Push has a Monarch Plus RC3 ready for the stock mount/clevis.
in regards to the ccdb air - i believe CC may have something in the works for the upcoming 2013 spesh linkage which makes sense given how popular this frame is and the need to get CCDB Airs out on the market. hopefully that means a simple clevis redesign that can also retro fit to the current linkage! trying to decide if i wanna play the wait game cuz i do not like the Fox shock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2011 SJ and e-mailed Push and CCDB about a different rear shock then the RP23 and they both said no their is nothing for my bike.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After many back and fourths with my shop and specialized the end result is no rp23 for me they say it really not doable without replacing many other parts its not a direct swap shock to yoke deal I can switch my brain shock for a triad so it looks like I'm going to give that a try. Maybe Push can do something with the triad to make it a little plusher.

·
Registered
642 Posts
from what i hear push doesnt do any tuning to the triad shock. call them up and see if they can shorten up the travel on an RP23 from a stumpy EVO to match the 140mm overall travel.
if they can make this work you should be able to buy the shock from your lbs through specialized, then send it to push. might as well have them PUSH it while its there.

edit: FYI push does shorten up travel and modify Rock Shox Monarch series shocks to fit the enduro by shortening the stroke, as well as some custom machining...

·
Registered
291 Posts
After many back and fourths with my shop and specialized the end result is no rp23 for me they say it really not doable without replacing many other parts its not a direct swap shock to yoke deal I can switch my brain shock for a triad so it looks like I'm going to give that a try. Maybe Push can do something with the triad to make it a little plusher.
I would go back to your LBS or find a different one and look into it again. I have a 2012 stumpjumper comp that I bought in November. I decided I wanted to upgrade the rear shock and push CAN NOT do anything to the triad. So after a trip to my LBS and a call to specialized they told be I could either upgrade to the "brain shock" or the RP23 off the new Evo. I have been waiting for 3 months for specialized to get the RP23 in stock so that I could buy it.

Well yesterday, my LBS called me out of the blue and told me that specialized had called. They received the latest shipment and my RP23 was in there! It was being shipped out to my shop yesterday. My LBS re confirmed that this shock would work on my bike and specialized said absolutely. No travel difference, no mounting problems....nothing!!

So the short of it is my RP23 will be here early next week and I'll mount it up. I'll be sure to post pics once its on! And BTW, the price was $350.00

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would go back to your LBS or find a different one and look into it again. I have a 2012 stumpjumper comp that I bought in November. I decided I wanted to upgrade the rear shock and push CAN NOT do anything to the triad. So after a trip to my LBS and a call to specialized they told be I could either upgrade to the "brain shock" or the RP23 off the new Evo. I have been waiting for 3 months for specialized to get the RP23 in stock so that I could buy it.

Well yesterday, my LBS called me out of the blue and told me that specialized had called. They received the latest shipment and my RP23 was in there! It was being shipped out to my shop yesterday. My LBS re confirmed that this shock would work on my bike and specialized said absolutely. No travel difference, no mounting problems....nothing!!

So the short of it is my RP23 will be here early next week and I'll mount it up. I'll be sure to post pics once its on! And BTW, the price was $350.00
I have spoke with both Robert and Bob at customer service at specialized and they both informed me that it will not work on My bike the clevis is not the same and not compatible they both have checked with the techs to confirm this..So I guess will have to enjoy my triad... maybe when I get my brain back from warranty a second time it will work right.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
For what its worth this is the reply I got on the Spesh website regarding this subject:

"A word of advise: be leery of online forums.
I'm not sure exactly which EVO SJ FSR you are looking at exactly (there are 3 to choose from). It appears that there is some miss information out there that you can turn a standard SJ FSR into an EVO with a conversion kit. This is not true. The frames of the SJ EVO bikes are completey different than the rest of the SJ FSR line.
Part of the confusion may be coming from the fact that Specialized does offer an EVO kit for the Enduro line, but this is only because the Enduro EVO frame is not different than the rest of the Enduro line.
The shocks for the EVO SJ bikes are tuned to be more progressive. The shock is a different size than the rest of the bikes and the link/clevis and other linkage result in different ride characteristics and a bit more wheel travel. If you are interested in the shock sizes, they are all listed under the 'Technical Specifications' for each bike.
I hope this helps... "

Brad72, do you have a larger picture of your avatar ?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya I made sure to ask would it be possible to use my clevis off my brain on the rp23 and the answer was NO not compatible. BUT the triad and the brainshock clevises are compatible.
Its not like they didn't want to sell me a rp23 but they SPECIALIZED say it wont work. without modifications and then it still might have probs.
So now I am real curious to see how Djg24s switch comes out hope it works.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ya I made sure to ask would it be possible to use my clevis off my brain on the rp23 and the answer was NO not compatible. BUT the triad and the brainshock clevises are compatible.
Its not like they didn't want to sell me a rp23 but they SPECIALIZED say it wont work. without modifications and then it still might have probs.
So now I am real curious to see how Djg24s switch comes out hope it works.
I'm hoping for the best. I had my bike shop check 3 different times and every time specialized has said it will mount up but only on the 26" bikes, while the 29ers will not work. Actually now that i think about it, I remember someone posting a picture of an S-Works where they swapped the brain for an RP23 as well. We will see as soon as it arrives I guess. I'm hoping this isn't a huge disappointment.

FWIW, my buddy was trying to do the same swap but on a 29er and they said no go. He talked to push today and they told him that they can not tune the triad, BUT they can swap all the internals over to RP23 internals. This would essentially turn your Triad into an RP23 without Kashima. I guess that will be my backup plan if this RP23 doesn't mount. Either way, I will post pics next week when my shock arrives.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts