Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ironic isn't it. I had the Triad on my 06 Stumpy for a full season, and never had the stuck down issue.Granted, in August I had PUSH redo the Triad in hope's of improving it.

Anyway, 2nd ride today. Had absoluteiy no issues the first ride. Lowered the psi to 210 to continue the fine tuning effort. I started banging the pedals about an hour into the ride, bike started shifting funny too. I was running very low rear tire pressures, and it was VERY muddy, so I just dismissed the pedals hitting.

It wasn't till I had the bike on the stand cleaning it that I noticed the shock stuck in it's travel. Fox opens Monay, after a few weeks off. If I can get thru, I'll get an air sleeve rebuild kit. I need another bushing kit for the shock anyway, as well as some crush washers and a travel spacer for my Vanilla.

Anyway, the ride was great, a local 25 mile loop, about 2:35 ride time. No wonder the bike was tough to weight the front wheel on the last few climbs, I was stuck half way thru the rear travel.

·
Read Only
3,005 Posts
That stinks. I'm just curious, How cold was it when you went out on your ride?? My Triad went bad riding on the sidewalk as I rode to work. The thing was, it was only in the 30's that morning. I wonder if the seals are shrinking due to cold temps. It happened almost immediately after getting on the bike because I recall hearing a strange noise then the bike started feeling/riding strange.

I thought I read elsewhere that somebody had a stuckdown Fox and that it was cold that day as well.:confused:

As always, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
mopartodd said:
That stinks. I'm just curious, How cold was it when you went out on your ride?? My Triad went bad riding on the sidewalk as I rode to work. The thing was, it was only in the 30's that morning. I wonder if the seals are shrinking due to cold temps. It happened almost immediately after getting on the bike because I recall hearing a strange noise then the bike started feeling/riding strange.

I thought I read elsewhere that somebody had a stuckdown Fox and that it was cold that day as well.:confused:

As always, keep us posted.
My Triad got stuck down and it was in the spring when it was warm.

Magdaddy, how did you find the RP23 on ebay? I haven't seen any for sale.

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the dirty details

1st ride temp was an un-seasonalbly warm 55+ degrees.2nd ride started at about 40-42 degrees, and got up to about 45. So the stuck down happened in the morning chill.

I have had a favorite search for "fox shocks" for quite some time. You know the routine, mountain bike parts, rear shocks(I think), then define the search to Fox. There are always 7.5x2.0 RP3's on there. There is a Float R that is 7.5x1.75 on there right now, don't know the year.

IMHO, the best alternative might be to get one from a Cdale dealer already stroke shortened for a Rush. Did either of you guys check the price for that yet? The advantage of the Cdale deal is once you get the bushing/reducer kit, it's a direct replacement for the Triad.

If you go the aftermarket/ebay route with a 2" stroke shock, you still have to pay to have the stroke shortened. Push is the only source that I know of for that. So factor that into a price. The 2" stroke RP3 I bought on ebay-prior to the RP23 coming up, was listed as new. It is actually an unused 05 model, I got it for $218 delivered.

I will be putting that up for sale as soon as I get around to it. Been talking about putting stuff on ebay for a long time. Maybe even listing them here. I have bought three bikes off this site in years past, and sold one too. I'm still riding the road and cross bikes bought here, so this site has been good to me.

Anyway, got a new seal kit enroute. I'm gonna(gasp) put the Triad back on till the RP23 is fixed. This no snow, unseasonably warm winter here in central New York is providing too many oppourtunities of early season mtb mileage, and I don't want to miss any of it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
magdaddy said:
1st ride temp was an un-seasonalbly warm 55+ degrees.2nd ride started at about 40-42 degrees, and got up to about 45. So the stuck down happened in the morning chill.

I have had a favorite search for "fox shocks" for quite some time. You know the routine, mountain bike parts, rear shocks(I think), then define the search to Fox. There are always 7.5x2.0 RP3's on there. There is a Float R that is 7.5x1.75 on there right now, don't know the year.

IMHO, the best alternative might be to get one from a Cdale dealer already stroke shortened for a Rush. Did either of you guys check the price for that yet? The advantage of the Cdale deal is once you get the bushing/reducer kit, it's a direct replacement for the Triad.

If you go the aftermarket/ebay route with a 2" stroke shock, you still have to pay to have the stroke shortened. Push is the only source that I know of for that. So factor that into a price. The 2" stroke RP3 I bought on ebay-prior to the RP23 coming up, was listed as new. It is actually an unused 05 model, I got it for $218 delivered.

I will be putting that up for sale as soon as I get around to it. Been talking about putting stuff on ebay for a long time. Maybe even listing them here. I have bought three bikes off this site in years past, and sold one too. I'm still riding the road and cross bikes bought here, so this site has been good to me.

Anyway, got a new seal kit enroute. I'm gonna(gasp) put the Triad back on till the RP23 is fixed. This no snow, unseasonably warm winter here in central New York is providing too many oppourtunities of early season mtb mileage, and I don't want to miss any of it.
Thanks! LBS quoted me $369 (MSRP) for the Rush RP23, so I will be looking elsewhere.

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not a bad price really

my understanding is there is not a lot of mark up on those. Take that for what it's worth.

Would that be an 06, or more likely an 07. Bolt on, no additional short travel kit or shipping for that service. Compare $515 for the Push with the full factory custom tune, or stock RP23 for $370. Nice to have another option.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
magdaddy said:
my understanding is there is not a lot of mark up on those. Take that for what it's worth.

Would that be an 06, or more likely an 07. Bolt on, no additional short travel kit or shipping for that service. Compare $515 for the Push with the full factory custom tune, or stock RP23 for $370. Nice to have another option.
I might be able to get 10% off $369.

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RP23 for Rush is an 07

funny, when I was getting the bushing kit ordered from Fox on Monday, I mentioned the Stuck Down issue with the 23. The guy from Fox tells me any RP23 for a Rush is an 07 model.

Well, Fox's website shows a RP23 for 06 also, I figure this guy is wrong. Just did a quick bike archive at Cdale, the 06 Rush had a RP3 on it. I'll be damned, it's an 07 model. I kinda thought the stuck down dilemna was 06 specific due to the bad seals.

I'm so confused. Anyway, back to winter normal here in Central New York, 30 degrees and lake effect snow warnings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all,

from Fox manual:

“STUCK DOWN” FLOAT/DHX AIR/BRAIN/TRIAD SHOCK
Under certain circumstances, a FLOAT, DHX AIR, BRAIN or TRIAD shock can become "stuck down.” If your air shock has not returned to its original neutral
length (eye-to-eye position), DO NOT attempt to disassemble the outer air sleeve or any other part of the shock. Air has become trapped in the air negative
chamber and can cause serious injury if the shock is disassembled. This condition is known as “stuck down.”
If your shock is “stuck down,” immediately return it to FOX Racing Shox or an Authorized FOX Racing Shox Service Center for service. Service and warranty
information can be found on the inside cover of this manual.

It seems that it's a known issue with all Fox Shocks! And they are not clear when it
happens ("..under certain circumstances!!!!").

·
Read Only
3,005 Posts
Thanks Avalanche00. It's a seal issue that they are working through from what I understand. It seems hit and miss too. I've read that some have had several incidents where the shock stuck down and had to be repaired. Sounds to me like they need to explore other materials for sealing.

These shocks shouldn't be failing in such a short time period, which makes me wonder if perhaps there is a manufacturing problem as well.

But who knows??????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.