Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I am running a fox RP2 08 on my trek remedy which i have shimmed the highvolume chamber down a bit to make it more progressive, the problem is that i found the small bump sensitivity lacking on this shock so i pulled the air can apart and give it a clean and put some fresh float fluid back in there, but since i have done this i have found that the shock is requiring less air in the shock to get the same feel as i did before (correct sag) does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be? i have now since removed a bit of the shimming from the highvolume chamber to try and improve the feel of the shock for a while,

Thanks for your time, Tom,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
inside the air can just before screwing the can back up, i had already inserted it halfway back onto the shaft before adding the fluid like i have done in the past and how it is show on all the how to videos,

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
You might have had mild stuck down issue you didn't know about. Not enough to see the shock in stuck down mode but enough of an issue to compensate for increased neg chamber pressure. By servicing your shock, now you now cured it. Just a guess.

I also have tried the shim mod on the XV air chamber on my RP23 and DHX-A but didn't care for the harshness it brought. So I removed it on RP23. I think the shim mod is better application for DHX-A where the shock virtually has no mid stoke support.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
You might have had mild stuck down issue you didn't know about. Not enough to see the shock in stuck down mode but enough of an issue to compensate for increased neg chamber pressure. By servicing your shock, now you now cured it. Just a guess.

I also have tried the shim mod on the XV air chamber on my RP23 and DHX-A but didn't care for the harshness it brought. So I removed it on RP23. I think the shim mod is better application for DHX-A where the shock virtually has no mid stoke support.
that was something that crossed my mind, but last night is stripped down the bike and found a seized bearing, which i am sure has been contributing to the loss of small bump sensivity, anyway, i am going to give it a try, maybe tomorrow weather dependant and see how things go with a full working swing arm, and serviced shock with its slightly larger volume air can again :)

thanks tom,

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Sounds like you found a seized DU bushing? I am sure that would have contributed it to your issue.

There's another thread in this forum with needle bearing conversion for shock DU bushing. If you don't mind spending the dough, you should check it out. I know I will.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
Sounds like you found a seized DU bushing? I am sure that would have contributed it to your issue.

There's another thread in this forum with needle bearing conversion for shock DU bushing. If you don't mind spending the dough, you should check it out. I know I will.
nar it was the main pivot bearing for the chainstay that was seized, do you have a link to that? i had thought about that before in the past because i would imagine there is a lot of friction in that area above and below the shock which would hamper the small bump sensitivity of the shock,

Thanks, Tom,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
endurofokseals.com
thanks, have you got a think to the thread that it was talked about in, i have done a search and gone though the first 5 pages on the suspension section but i cannot find anything on it,

Thanks, if they are a good investment it may be something i would consider doing,

Tom,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.