Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post. I've been trying to see there is a similar post before... but looks like there is not something specific.

As, unfortunately, roval does not sell the rims separately and just the wheel assemblies, I am looking for a good replacement of the following rim:

It is for a stumpjumper FSR 29 Elite, that I recently bought from a guy, but the rear rim is damaged... as I think he ran very low on pressure all most al the time. According to specs from the website:
- Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
The model on the label is
- Roval Control Trail 29

I have heard that Mavic, DT Swiss, WTB are good options.

I am looking something to pretty much keep similar performance in terms of weight and strength.

I like trail, and I consider myself a bit on top of beginner, so sometimes I take nice and adventurous hills... but nothing very advanced.</SPAN>

Can someone suggest a nice Rim Replacement? Could you include the spokes? As I know that the height might change and the current spokes could not fit.</SPAN>

Thanks!!!</SPAN>

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post. I've been trying to see there is a similar post before... but looks like there is not something specific.

As, unfortunately, roval does not sell the rims separately and just the wheel assemblies, I am looking for a good replacement of the following rim:

It is for a stumpjumper FSR 29 Elite, that I recently bought from a guy, but the rear rim is damaged... as I think he ran very low on pressure all most al the time. According to specs from the website:
- Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
The model on the label is
- Roval Control Trail 29

I have heard that Mavic, DT Swiss, WTB are good options.

I am looking something to pretty much keep similar performance in terms of weight and strength.

I like trail, and I consider myself a bit on top of beginner, so sometimes I take nice and adventurous hills... but nothing very advanced.</SPAN>

Can someone suggest a nice Rim Replacement? Could you include the spokes? As I know that the height might change and the current spokes could not fit.</SPAN>

Thanks!!!</SPAN>
Welcome to the forums first off! Just for reference this should be posted in the Specialized forum for a better shot at getting answers. That said, what you have is a Roval/OEM wheel there. The rim is the only piece of that wheel worth a damn. Not sure what year your Stumpy is but my guess is the wheel is probably the same setup as what's currently being offered. If it's a 2011-2012 rear wheel then the likelihood of hub issues arising is pretty high as Spec had a huge failure rate on those HiLo hubs. In 2013 they changed the design.

What I'm getting at here is that the wheel is not really worth rebuilding with a new rim. If the hubs said 'Roval' on them, I might do it but not with the heavy OEM hub. Your better off searching eBay for another Roval wheel like yours and replacing it altogether. If you can't find something similar, I would suggest looking at a Stan's Arch build or a Stan's Flow build. Flows are more durable, a tad wider, and accommodate heavier riders. If you're under 200 lbs look at an Arch wheel.

Sent from the trails.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If it's the hub with DT Swiss 350 internals then rebuild. If it's the HiLo hub then buy a new complete wheel.

Rim wise the WTB KOM is a little wider (23/28) but otherwise would be a nice match to your existing front wheel. If you need a new rear hub look at a DT350 or Hope with new butted spokes and alloy nipples to match up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts