Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m looking for a set of wheels for my Epic 29er, will I notice the difference between the Control Sl set up with 142 endcaps compared to the version with the 142+ hub ?

·
Less talk, more ride...
245 Posts
What year and model Epic do you have?

·
Less talk, more ride...
245 Posts
You"ll definately want the 142+ version. The Roval Control 29 wheels that bike comes with stock are pretty nice too. I have a set of the Roval Control 29 alloys on my Stumpjumper. Have been perfect for over a year now. If you have to have the carbon, get the Control 142+. Should be a direct swap.

·
old and slow
403 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. While the upgrade 142+ wheels should make for a no adjustment swap for the stock 142+ wheels, they might be harder to sell or unusable on a non Specialized bike if you change later. Curious just how much actual difference in performance and feel there would actual be between the two versions of the wheel.

·
I Ride Bikes
1,755 Posts
I would have to think that 2mm would be very hard to tell when riding. It's almost like asking someone if they can feel a 1 horsepower improvement in their car. It's all in the mind.

I do have the Carbon SL 142+ with the DT swiss rear hub and it's a great wheel for the price. My other wheel set is the alloy controls with a 142 CK rear hub. I can't feel the 2mm difference when I switch between the two. My rear derailleur, however, can. I have to fine tune it each time I change wheelsets.

·
Less talk, more ride...
245 Posts
I honestly don't think there is any measurable difference between the two versions.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Buy the 135mm version, put the 142mm end caps on and slay it. Ride the expert hard then when it's time to sell it, slap the old wheels on and keep the SL's for whatever you buy next.

·
bikerpilot
561 Posts
For 2013 the 135/142 version of the SL's received a wider hub spacing similar to the 142+ so that there is now only 2mm difference in the flanges. For this small a difference I would agree with the others saying to get the 135 version, as they will be more versatile and transfer to any bike you may have in the future, as well as much easier to sell for a better price down the line compared to the 142+ version which can only be used on Specialized frames specifically made for that hub. If it was still 8mm difference that might be worth considering, but 2mm isn't worth the sacrifices in versatility in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts