Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a set of Hope Hoops, Hope Pro 2 Evos with Stans Crests, on my 2013 Epic Comp Carbon.

I've got the opportunity to buy a set of Roval Control Carbon wheels for a really good price but I'm not sure how much difference they would make.

The Rovals are virtually identical weight to the Hopes according to the spec's so negligible weight savings if any.

Would the carbon rimmed wheels ride much better than the alloy rimmed ones?

My riding is usually general XC riding with a few 12h endurance races and the odd shorter 1-2h race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
The Rovals would be ~7.3 zillion times stiffer than the Crests. The two are not even in the same ballpark....
About what I was going to say.
Wish I could afford Roval's I went with Light bicycle Hook less with Chris King hub's and DT Swiss white comp spoke's brass nipple's they are only costing me around $1,063.00 would be $963.00 if I did black spokes.
I got a quote for Roval carbon rims only at $600.00 each so $1,200.00 for the pair wasn't worth it to me.
Their Control SL 29's wheel set's are $1,700.00 but I didn't want their hub's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wish I could afford Roval's I went with Light bicycle Hook less with Chris King hub's and DT Swiss white comp spoke's brass nipple's they are only costing me around $1,063.00 would be $963.00 if I did black spokes.
I got a quote for Roval carbon rims only at $600.00 each so $1,200.00 for the pair wasn't worth it to me.
PauLCa916 - do you have your new LB wheels yet? If so, what do you think of them and can you compare them to your last wheelset?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I say go for it!

I've ridden the Control Carbon and own a pair of the Control Carbon SL....They are awesome. I don't have anything against King/Hope hubs as I own/have owned multiple sets of each, but there is nothing wrong with the Specialized hubs on these wheels. The SL are DT240, and the rear comes standard with the 36t ratchet upgrade. The rear on the Control Carbon is a DT350.

The Crest rim doesn't even compare in the level of stiffness. Either of the Control Carbons are more stiff than my wheelsets w/Arch EX. You can make a super light alloy rim that weighs the same as a carbon one, but you are definitely losing out on the durability/stiffness.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
PauLCa916 - do you have your new LB wheels yet? If so, what do you think of them and can you compare them to your last wheelset?
Waiting on them now can't wait to get them set up.
But I will say compared to my current stock wheel set it will be a big improvement.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I currently have Crest rims on my Epic and I'm planning to get rid of them for Roval carbon or LB carbon. The Crest are light but way to flexy and don't stay true for long even trying to baby them and weighing only 160lb.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
They also have the price point of $1200 for the Roval Control 29er Carbon wheels (1580g).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just been on to my LBS, they've done me a deal on a new set of Carbon Control SL's which worked out at only £100 more than the used Carbon Control's I was looking at.
They should arrive next week :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
They also have the price point of $1200 for the Roval Control 29er Carbon wheels (1580g).
Very true Bruce good point.
I looked at both of them here at a LBS.
their $1200. set come's with DT 350 internals and the $1,700. set come's with DT 240 internals which there is nothing at all wrong with that.
I just wanted to use Chris King hub's so I tried to buy the Hoops only but couldn't swallow the $1,200 just for the hoops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very true Bruce good point.
I looked at both of them here at a LBS.
their $1200. set come's with DT 350 internals and the $1,700. set come's with DT 240 internals which there is nothing at all wrong with that.
I just wanted to use Chris King hub's so I tried to buy the Hoops only but couldn't swallow the $1,200 just for the hoops.
That's quite strange as over here in the UK, the cheaper wheels, £900 a set, come with DT240 internals and the dearer ones, £1000 a set, come with DT350 internals!

Specialized seem to have reduced the UK prices for the carbon wheels as the SL's were £1400 last year but are now down to £900.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just been looking at the spec's for these wheels and I was wondering if anyone could confirm for me whether the wheels with the standard rear hub are supplied with the parts needed to convert to 142+?
I don't want to buy a set of 142+ wheels to find that they'll be no use if I swap the frame at any time for something non-Specialized.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've just been looking at the spec's for these wheels and I was wondering if anyone could confirm for me whether the wheels with the standard rear hub are supplied with the parts needed to convert to 142+?
I don't want to buy a set of 142+ wheels to find that they'll be no use if I swap the frame at any time for something non-Specialized.
You want the Control Carbon SL if you want to be able to use them on non-Spec frames. They come with adapters to run 142x12. The Control Carbon SL 142+ use a different hub and do not come with any adapters, as they are specifically for 142+ Specialized frames. They do fit some other frames, but it's hit or miss.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You want the Control Carbon SL if you want to be able to use them on non-Spec frames. They come with adapters to run 142x12. The Control Carbon SL 142+ use a different hub and do not come with any adapters, as they are specifically for 142+ Specialized frames. They do fit some other frames, but it's hit or miss.
Sorry, I should've clarified, it's the Carbon Control SL's that I'm getting.

I'll speak to the shop this morning when they open to make sure they order the right wheels as I may well be swapping them between bikes in future.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I collected the wheels today, not fitted them yet but I quickly weighers them and they weighed in at 1460g for the pair, 240g lighter than the Hopes I'm taking off :)
Swapping out the tyres from the current Ground Control's to so Fast Track's will drop about 100g per tyre so saving about 450g in total :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see how they ride once they're fitted this weekend.

One slight disappointment with the wheel set is that they no longer come supplied with wheel bags!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Swapping out the tyres from the current Ground Control's to so Fast Track's
Let the folks here know how the Fast Tracks work out. I had S-works FT's on a prev setup and could not get used to the lack of shoulders and felt they were to slippery. Now run WTB's on one bike, and Ground Control 2.1 rear and 2.3 Purgatory front to reduce the cornering confidence on my trails... I'd like to drop some tire weight and wonder if I should re-look at the FT's again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.