Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Hutch
Vassago moose nuckle SS
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have Cleared up a few things, and still searching for a few more. Please correct me if I'm wrong ..
1. All the EPIC 2012 Comp carbon 29er's come with Roval control rims, w/ specialized (joytech) hubs. The rear Hub is 142+ 12mm thru axle, and the front Hubs vary by model.
2. The EPIC 2012 expert carbon wheels are the same as the 700$ wheels there site except that the stock wheels are set up 142+
3. The weight of the stock comp carbon wheels are about 2130g The stock expert's are 1770g
4. I found that Hope, King, and others make a 142 12mm 32h rear hub, but can't find any info on a front 9mm thru other than the specialized Hi Lo? (hope has a conversion but not sure if it works.
Best regards

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Specialized called me at home today! I called yesterday and was on hold for a long time so I hung up. Cannot believe they called.

Long story short, they did not know why the 2012 Roval Control 29er is 1770 grams and the Roval Control Trail 29 is listed as lighter even though it (the Control Trail 29) has a wider rim yet both share the same hub marketing description.

At first the rep said it may be due to the Control 29er using cheaper and heavier Joy Tech hubs, but when I said "the wheels come oem on the $4000 stumpjumper expert carbon 29er HT" he admitted that Joy Tech hubs would not come on that.

Was told they wouldn't know all the info on every wheel til they got some new 2012 Rovals in at Specialized to tear apart.

·
The Hutch
Vassago moose nuckle SS
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Specialized called me at home today! I called yesterday and was on hold for a long time so I hung up. Cannot believe they called.

Long story short, they did not know why the 2012 Roval Control 29er is 1770 grams and the Roval Control Trail 29 is listed as lighter even though it (the Control Trail 29) has a wider rim yet both share the same hub marketing description.

At first the rep said it may be due to the Control 29er using cheaper and heavier Joy Tech hubs, but when I said "the wheels come oem on the $4000 stumpjumper expert carbon 29er HT" he admitted that Joy Tech hubs would not come on that.

Was told they wouldn't know all the info on every wheel til they got some new 2012 Rovals in at Specialized to tear apart.
Sounds like you talked to a CS rep rather than a Tech. I guess we will have to wait tell everyone weighs there wheels and post the results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SL= Carbon Rims

The lighter Roval Control Trail SL have Carbon rims(making these wheels lighter). Wheels with "SL" on the name are going to be lighter because of the Carbon Rims.
Also the Roval Control trail 26" are going to be lighter than the 29er Control.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.