Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the OEM Roval Control 29 on a 2012 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29 HT.

Rear wheel. A drive side spoke broke late last season. The LBS ordered 8 spokes (2 of each length for the wheelset) for which I paid $33 for- no warranty. Since then I have broken another drive side in late March and I just replaced a non-drive side today. 3 spokes replaced so far. Is anyone else experiencing such a failure rate with these wheels? Is there any type of wheel replacement under warranty for so many spokes breaking, or am I SOL? All breaks have occurred at the hub where the spoke is inserted into the flange.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
There are only two real explanations I can think of:

One is tension that is way loose and nowhere near generally equal and transferring the stress to those spokes.

Two is a rim that's way out of true and those spokes having to be tensioned way above what is normal, thereby causing them to fail when they encounter normal riding stresses.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are only two real explanations I can think of:

One is tension that is way loose and nowhere near generally equal and transferring the stress to those spokes.

Two is a rim that's way out of true and those spokes having to be tensioned way above what is normal, thereby causing them to fail when they encounter normal riding stresses.

The rim is true and the spoke tension is even. Definitely not too loose. Just keeps popping spokes at the spoke heads- all different spokes.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
The rim is true and the spoke tension is even. Definitely not too loose. Just keeps popping spokes at the spoke heads- all different spokes.
3: Bad batch of spokes. Specialized has had that problem before.

But they should be DT SuperComps (straight pull). Never cared for straight pull spokes because of limited availability. $33 is way high for 8 spokes. Could get CX-Rays for that

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
Just because the rim can be trued/ is true doesn't mean the tension is right. Even if they all feel "tight" doesn't mean it's right. Use a tension-meter or have someone that's built hundreds of wheels look at it.

Even tension doesn't always exist and that's not necessarily bad. A new wheel will have fairly even tension, but if it gets knocked a little out of true, you need to use uneven tension to bring it back. That's normal over the life of a wheel. As long as it's within the design parameters, it will be ok. If you have to tension spokes ABOVE the design parameters to bring it back into true, you may get the thing true, but you'll start breaking spokes most likely. That's why I was suspecting this.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i just popped a head off my control sl's today. was literaly "just riding around". not too rough of a trail (alum creek p2). will be contacting specialized

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
i just popped a head off my control sl's today. was literaly "just riding around". not too rough of a trail (alum creek p2). will be contacting specialized
Spokes usually break from fatigue, not a single incident, so having it happen while JRA is not abnormal.

I had a nipple break recently climbing out of the saddle on smooth pavement. The wheel is 6 years old and well used so I do not blame my massive power output.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Spokes usually break from fatigue, not a single incident, so having it happen while JRA is not abnormal.

I had a nipple break recently climbing out of the saddle on smooth pavement. The wheel is 6 years old and well used so I do not blame my massive power output.
My wheelset is only 8 mo old and I'm only 130 lbs

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing such a failure rate with these wheels?
Yes of course. For my last bike ( Stumpy FSR Elite 2013) I did not even bother,bought a new set of serious wheels even before the bike arrived. I've had a previous experience with a 2011 Stumpy fsr 26 and a 2012 Epic. If there's anything worst than their spokes that would be their hubs. Specialized should usually service them under warranty but I would strongly suggest you to invest in a better set of wheels,there's plenty of choices out there that will perform gazillion times better and won't break the bank.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Yes of course. For my last bike ( Stumpy FSR Elite 2013) I did not even bother,bought a new set of serious wheels even before the bike arrived. I've had a previous experience with a 2011 Stumpy fsr 26 and a 2012 Epic. If there's anything worst than their spokes that would be their hubs. Specialized should usually service them under warranty but I would strongly suggest you to invest in a better set of wheels,there's plenty of choices out there that will perform gazillion times better and won't break the bank.
+1
I haven't even ordered my new Stumpy yet and already pricing out Stan's Arch EX's.
I will use the stock wheel's for back up's.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Nothing short of ENVE's are as stiff and light as the Control and Control 29 wheels. When you get to affordability then nothing compares. Sure a broken spoke and a little more maintenance is required but then again you're saving lots of $$$

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
I just broke a rear spoke on this wheelset last week. Couldn't find any sign of outright damage on it aside from the clean break. The bad batch of spokes theory may be true.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just called Spec and the warranty on alloy rim wheels is 1 year, so I'm SOL. At least I have more spokes left. It sure does turn me off to purchasing ANY Roval wheels in the future.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just called Spec and the warranty on alloy rim wheels is 1 year, so I'm SOL. At least I have more spokes left. It sure does turn me off to purchasing ANY Roval wheels in the future.
Don't feel like that,Roval makes some excellent wheels when you choose higher specs models. The carbon ones and the M5 Traverse EL are excellent wheels,they come at a good price and when paired up with a DT hub they are very easy to DIY service.
I've beated the heck out of my old Traverse EL's and they never ran out of true,neither ended up with a broken spoke ever. Just stay away from everything that says "Hi-Lo" hubs and you'll be fine.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Don't feel like that,Roval makes some excellent wheels when you choose higher specs models. The carbon ones and the M5 Traverse EL are excellent wheels,they come at a good price and when paired up with a DT hub they are very easy to DIY service.
BTW, I misread the OP. I'm running the carbon Roval Control Trail SLs, and broke a spoke. I love the wheelset, and spokes can break for a lot of reasons, but I'll keep an eye on this issue. So, it can obviously happen on any wheelset.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
BTW, I misread the OP. I'm running the carbon Roval Control Trail SLs, and broke a spoke. I love the wheelset, and spokes can break for a lot of reasons, but I'll keep an eye on this issue. So, it can obviously happen on any wheelset.
Those have fewer and thinner spokes.

·
And I'm out.
504 Posts
Spokes are generally covered under the "manufacturing defects" which is typically rendered null and void by riding off-road/ lack of "proper" maintenance and any "adjustments" made by un-trained or non-qualified persons or qualified persons not using correct equipment.... basically: not covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts