Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning on upgrading the stock wheels on my '14 Stumpjumper Evo HT. They come with specialized high-low hubs and are pretty heavy. I'm looking at either Roval Control's with dt350 internals, or Stan's ZTR Arch EX.
Roval's Here $560
Stan's Here $482

What would be the better choice for the price?

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
I'm a fan of the stans Rims as I have a couple of sets of Arch's. Some tires don't fit them (ie, any geax TNT tire) but there are a whole bunch that do. I really don't know much about the Roval's and what bead sizing they use...(UST?). One thing that always turns me off with some manufacturers wheelsets are non-standard spokes...I notice the S wheels use a straight pull type as opposed to a J-bend. If a few hundred $'s isn't an issue, you might consider having a set built by a reputable builder. (ie, Mike C or Speeddream). Both those guys build incredible wheels that will be bulletproof.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
OP - I have a set of the Roval AL wheels with DT hubs that I was planning to sell. PM me if you are interested - they are in excellent condition.

·
Registered
482 Posts
what i dont' like about stan's is that, from what i've read, they have a bit larger diameter...and in my experience, i've broken tire levers trying to get a tire on...my spokes aren't as taut with schwalbe tires on, but that hasn't affected the trueness of the wheel ...just got a set of mavics and tires were super easy to put on with just my hands...i have yet to use them, tho

after a year on the stan's, i have just that one complaint...they seem to take hits very well and i'm running 25/30 psi front/rear over roots, rocks, and drops

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have Arch EX w/ 3.30 hubs and have put almost 1500 miles on them.... great wheels, no issues. the hubs have been awesome. The QRs suck so replace them if u have regular qr setup.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
The tire fit thing is probably the biggest downside (albeit a small one) for the stans rims. The EX went to a slightly larger bead seat diameter essentially "stretching" the bead. It was stans way of preventing burped tires. Hence the reason if you try and put something like a geax TNT tire on a stans rim, you will break levers and maybe your fingers. If you do get them on, your spoke tension will drop.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I love the Stans rims, I have 3 wheelsets with Arch rims. Maxxis tires go onto the rims no problem. But, Huthinson tires, forget about it. I was able to get a WTB Bronson on, however it took some stretching. If you can, try to stretch the tire out for about an hour or so by pulling up on it with your feet and hands. Believe it not, that does help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts