Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
madskatingcow said:
Does anybody now the maximum rider weight limit of the Specialized Roval Contrôle SL XC Disc Wheelset ? I was just being curious seen the specifications of these wheels :D

Can't find the tech manual for this wheelset on their website :skep:
My heaviest in rider gear is like 205 in full gear with loaded camelbak and have no problems. Running Tubeless also. They're pretty strong for a low spoke wheelset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
roval controle sl wheels

hi has anyone that has got these wheels had any problem with them? i would be interested to know because i have had new bearings in front wheel after 100 miles and only 4 weeks old !! i spec'd these to go on my new epic as my riding partner had original controle wheel for over 12 months and where very fast and run super smooth and still going well. i would say that these wheels are everything i expected appart from the hiccup

·
iRideSpesh
28 Posts
Hi Wjone
Yep, same problem as you, just took my the front wheel to my lbs to replace bearings in the front wheel. Probably not done more that 150miles. I am not happy about this as in about month and half will be doing the transalps race (450miles) and not sure the wheels will be up to the job.

iRideSpesh

·
<100%
683 Posts
Mrs has a set. She's 120 and rides tubelss at 25psi. She got a ding or two on the rear (not surprising considering the low pressure) but no problems with the hubs or the true. They have been a great wheelset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i can only tell you that after having three sets of bearings fitted at lbs i still was not happy with them after 1 ride. i went to concept store they sent it back to specialized uk where they fitted new bearings and i can honestly say they have been far better and so far so good after approx 4-500 miles and i think they are great wheels its just taken me a while and after all the hassle to get my confidence in them

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I would like to resurrect this thread. My LBS has a set of 08 Roval Controle that were take offs that they are willing to part with for crazy cheap. I weigh 200 pounds and ride a 2009 S-Works Epic.

I do 20+ races a year. Will these wheels be okay?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, any new feedback on the Roval Controle wheels? :thumbsup:

Been thinking about getting myself the SL's ...

Since the hubs have DT Swiss internals, is the hub also aluminum? I used to ride DT Swiss 240S hubs : everytime I took the cassette off, I was amazed about how bad the hub looked from the cassette marks. My current Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheels don't show any marks when taking off the cassette. Is this also the case with the Roval wheels?

·
just ride
80 Posts
roval controle SL's

I am currently riding the Roval Control SL's on my epic with no problem. I weigh 200lbs and ride 10-15 endurance races per year and they are still pretty true. My first big event was the Mohican 100k on them and I could not believe the climbing difference they made, also the tires seat very well on them (schwable tires are real difficult).

My riding style is picking the best line in lieu of crashing through, nor do I do any real jumping. Being a big guy I respect me equipments limits.

Bearings are excellent, most of our racing was done in the rain this year and I have had no issues, I have had to replace the Industry Nine bearings more often. The oversize encaps make a substantial difference in stability.

WIth this said, I do not do my everyday riding on them, I respect the fact they are a race wheel (in my world.) They live with a Stans Raven 2.2 mounted to them.

These ride a little stiffer than the Control series, I believe they use a revolution spoke, were these have a bladded spoke, not sure why one is stiffer, just is. The stiffness is noticable when climbing out of the saddle.

Cassette body seams decent as all the others, better than king freehub, but it does show marks from the XTR cassette. Replacement is so easy and fairly inexpensive, I suggest buying a second one with the wheels, most shops will sell that part at cost when you buy the wheels.....

This past wekend was a 25mile rock garden / root haven / mudfest singletrack race in Ellicottville NY and the rear wheel came out unscathed...the front was switched out an I9 for the better front tire....

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a set of the 26" xc control 2009 and i have had NO problem. I am weighing 260 and they have been nothing but great, wheels and hubs and bearing. I had a set of cobalts that the rear hub broke 5 x's. I would imagine that they are not made for someone like me but I liked the weight and the performance. I have a 23 pound 07 s works carbon epic.

i have had NO problems with this bike and it is as strong as the first time i took it out. I race 15-20 times per year on it too.

I pick up my new s works 29er hardtail this friday. I will let you know how the 29er roval work when I give them a ride.

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,566 Posts
worthy_4242 said:
I have a set of the 26" xc control 2009 and i have had NO problem. I am weighing 260 and they have been nothing but great, wheels and hubs and bearing. I had a set of cobalts that the rear hub broke 5 x's. I would imagine that they are not made for someone like me but I liked the weight and the performance. I have a 23 pound 07 s works carbon epic.

i have had NO problems with this bike and it is as strong as the first time i took it out. I race 15-20 times per year on it too.

I pick up my new s works 29er hardtail this friday. I will let you know how the 29er roval work when I give them a ride.
Well, I'm interested in new wheels, and I'm considering Cobalts, Rovals EL, Fulcrum, Mavics, etc. This is the first time I've read about someone with problems on the Cobalts.

Also, Since you've had some experience with Rovals, what kind of terrain do you ride most of the time? What kind of terrain do you race most of the time?
I'm leaning strongly on Rovals EL (very light wheel for the $$$) and haven't found many reviews on them. One of my friends has a brand new set of SL's, so I'll monitor how his wheels hold up for the next few months...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I race and ride xc trails. no drops or stuff like that. I enjoy climbing for some unknown reason. I live in the bay area and there seems to be a lot of that around here. I have had great luck with the rovals and they have been strong with no issues. As for the cobalts the rear hub isn't good but the rest of the wheel is nice and strong. But after 5 new rear hubs i have sent them back for a full refund and I was told i would get the $$$ but nothing yet, I need to call my LBS because the $$$ is coming through them. Not to happy with the process this last time. I guess they don't want to part with the $$$.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.