Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Full-sus afetr 10yrs on hardtail - Just picked up a SJ FSR Comp 06' - what is the best way to look after the suspension pivot points and shocks.............getting conflicting views from LBS (plural), ranging from everything is sealed, no need to lubricate between annual services to........."ah sir" need to lub pivots everyride and clean shock seals (remove and re-lub) every 8-40hrs.............what do real "owners" do for routine maintenance and if lube is used, what type (I see the specialized site mentions non-synthetic motor oil!........thanks.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Depends entirely on where you're riding, same as for most maintenance. If my frame has gotten particularly dirty on a ride, then I'll just remove the pivot bolts and wipe the bearing seals down. I also apply a little Teflon Dry lube to the bolt/nut assemblies afterwards then wipe away the excess. I'll usually remove the seals every 1000 miles or so, again, depending on what/where I've been riding, flush the grease with WD40, rinse with Isopropyl Alcohol, a blast of compressed air, dry and re-grease with Rock n' Roll or Pedro's Syn Grease.
Strangely, this kind of maintenance will probably voide your warranty, although if you've bought a used bike it doesn't matter anyway.
The advice from Specialized to use motor oil is redundant. It's from 2000 when all but the BB pivot used bushings.
Shock bushings should be kept dry and clean, no lube at all. The shock itself will have its own manufacturer's service recomendations. For most riders, once a year for a service is probably sufficient.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Glasgow...

INSPECT PERIODICALLY as a bike failure can be painful.

My experience is that once you verify that all bolts are appropriately torqued, they do not back themselves out. This would only occur if the bolt hole/threads are not perfectly round.

Once or twice a year I remove the rear shock to verify that the rear suspension (bolts/bearings) moves smoothly and freely. Twice a year I will remove the outer seal from the bearings attached to the shock linkage and wipe out the dark grease as best I can and add some new grease. They dont need to be fully packed just add enough to keep lube in and minimize weepage as the summer heat can make the grease melt.

As for bolts they can be inspected/cleaned regularly and some can use a tiny bit of lube to keep em smooth and prevent rust.

Good luck sir:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.