Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've seen the post and read them as well, but can't seem to find them? I'm planning on going to the top this coming summer. I would appreciate some direction and the previous post would be great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The standard way is pretty straightforward. Go to Big Pine, CA and take Highway 168 east. Turn north on White Mountain Rd. and follow it until you reach a locked gate (it's not that far but it'll take a while... maybe an hour or two?). Park your car and continue up that same road on your bike for ~7 miles to the top of the mountain. Then retrace your steps. That's it.

I've also heard of people riding up or down Silver Canyon Rd to make it more interesting. Down sounds like fun. Up not so much. Guess it depends on your desire for suffering and/or patience for looong car shuttles.

Anyway, you can find the roads by poking around Google Maps. You can also get more info by talking to the friendly people at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/about.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Once you leave 168, the White Mtn road is paved for about 10 miles, then dirt/gravel for a long time (15-20 miles?) - maybe 45 mins to an hour on the dirt. The road tends to be very wash-boarded, and can be really harsh if your vehicle has a stiff suspension. Any 2wd except super low-slung cars will have no probs. If you get really lucky and they just graded the road, it can go much quicker.

There is a pit toilet at the gate, and it's a good idea to sleep up there to acclimate (the gate is 11,800' or so). It's rocky ground, so it's hard to find good sleeping spots (one good one in the drainage).

They don't open the road until it fully dries out, usually around Memorial day.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do enjoy a certain amount of suffering and was thinking that the Silver Canyon might be a good option? Do you think that it is mostly soft sand? I've also been up 168 a number of times racing the Everest Challenge and wondered if White mtn rd would get me there as well?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Silver Canyon actually has a fairly solid surface the whole way - the loosest part is where almost everyone would be hike-a-biking anyway. No sand. Starting in Laws (micro-town with railroad museum) at 4100', you head up a few miles of wash-boarded road (not too bad), then get into the canyon. The road is a good angle, and pretty solid, but has some really deep stream crossings (a couple are 2 feet deep and wide). There are short bypasses for all the deep stream crossings that range from ridable to dismount and scramble under bushes.

After a long while, you get to a crossing with an old gate, and the road gets steeper, then you hit the switchbacks out of the canyon, and it gets super steep, rocky, and a bit loose. The start of the switchbacks have a heavy duty winter closure gate. It's really hard to ride a couple sections at the start of the switchbacks (even if you're fresh), and it's steep and long. The road surface is very good after the first loose sections. About 3K to the switchbacks, and 3K after to the ridge top.

You can ride from Silver Canyon along the White Mtn road to 168, but it'd be more fun to go down the old Silver Canyon road, or down Black Canyon - or up White Mtn road and up the peak, then back. Or if you want a road ride, go up 168, then up White Mtn road to the end of the pavement (the Schulman Grove, a bit over 10,000'), then back down the pavement.

You can bike up Silver Canyon before it's open to vehicles in the spring, but there are often big snowbanks on a northwest-facing slope around 10,000'.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not really planning my assault on the climb until late May or mid June? If we have a heavy winter then it will have to wait until after the Creampuff 100. I was thinking it would be good training leading up to it or a great ride after the Creampuff. Either way I'm going to the top this year! As long as most of the trail is rideable I don't have any problems with suffering like a dog. Not too worried about the possibility of heat, if starting early and I live in a pretty hot area already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.