Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a cycle computer*, and I've tried to use Mapquest / Mapblast / Google Maps / etc to find out how far I've ridden on road rides. Obviously, that's not helpful. (Former computer programmer rant: WHY IN THE WORLD won't these web map tools recognize intersections??? What's so hard about that???)

Anyway... Is there any cheap / free software that lets you plot a route on a map to find out how long it is?

If not: Patent Pending!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
BontyRider said:
I don't have a cycle computer*, and I've tried to use Mapquest / Mapblast / Google Maps / etc to find out how far I've ridden on road rides. Obviously, that's not helpful. (Former computer programmer rant: WHY IN THE WORLD won't these web map tools recognize intersections??? What's so hard about that???)

Anyway... Is there any cheap / free software that lets you plot a route on a map to find out how long it is?

If not: Patent Pending!
try

topofusion.com

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
formica said:
you can pick up a cycle computer for less than $20 any time with closeouts at Performance, etc.
Yeah thanks. Never would've guessed that I could walk into a store and buy a cycle computer. ;)

And besides, that will only answer the question, "how far did I just ride," as opposed to "how far would it be if I rode route X."

So I'm guessing the answer to my question is "probably not."

There is an application called BikeMaster which is exactly what I'm looking for, but it only covers the San Jose area. D'oh.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
BontyRider said:
(Former computer programmer rant: WHY IN THE WORLD won't these web map tools recognize intersections??? What's so hard about that???)
Those tools do recognize intersections. You can enter two streets (First and Main) and the apps. will find the intersection. It is a very simple geocoding function in any mapping/GIS app. What isn't working for you?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtnfiend said:
Those tools do recognize intersections. You can enter two streets (First and Main) and the apps. will find the intersection. It is a very simple geocoding function in any mapping/GIS app. What isn't working for you?
Sometimes is works, sometimes not. They tend to be pretty picky. The point is, though, to be able to plot out, say 25 points as a route rather than sitting there for an hour and typing in each segment. I'm just saying it would be nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.