Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know of a good route from Fremont BART to First Street in San Jose. I'm planning on taking the Coyote Creek trail from Dixon landing south, but is there another trail that gets me to Dixon Landing? Or at least the safest path to the trailhead?

Thanks!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
It sucks, because you're sandwiched between 680 and 880 and have few choices.

Check out Paseo Padre > Grimmer > High > Osgood > Warm Springs > Dixon Landing.

I commuted on a variation of that route to Milpitas and to SJSU / SJC. It's long, straight & boring, but ok. Warm Springs is a little busy with cars, but I think it's the only real option through that corridor.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...27,-121.953564&spn=0.030285,0.074844&t=h&z=14

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's about what I figured.

I was thinking of taking Paseo Padre all the way to Warm Springs also. It's a little longer, but not by much, but at least has a bike lane most of the way.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Paseo Padre strikes me as particularly busy with cars driving fast. It slows down above 680, but then you've got unnecessary climbing. If you want the climbing, Mission Blvd. straight from BART, past Ohlone, is simple and straight. Though it's heavily trafficed, just like the others.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Paseo Padre strikes me as particularly busy with cars driving fast. It slows down above 680, but then you've got unnecessary climbing. If you want the climbing, Mission Blvd. straight from BART, past Ohlone, is simple and straight. Though it's heavily trafficed, just like the others.
I disagree. Paseo Padre in the hills is pretty safe: wide lanes and not too much traffic. I did it a few times when commuting back from San Jose home. I used to do Warm Springs straight to Osgood and there was 1/2 mile of really narrow road which sucked quite a bit.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My Route

Paseo to Warm Springs. Warm Springs to Dixon Landing. Left on Dixon Landing. Take Dixon Landing over the freeway and look for the entrance to a bike path heading south paralleling 880. Take the bike path all the way until it stops at McCarthy. Then take McCarthy over 237 and look for a bike path entrance on the right as soon as you get over the freeway. Follow this bike path untii it ends on Zanker. Cross Zanker and get on Holger Way. Follow Holger as it bends around and merges with Headquarters Drive. Follow Headquarters to 1st street. Go right on 1st and watch for the bike path entrance on your left before you cross 237 again. Take the 237 bike path and watch for the tricky gravel entrance to the Guadalupe Bike Path on the left about 3/4 mile after turning off First Street. It isn't marked and it does sneak up on you but there is an overpass there so look to your left if you get on the overpass. Both sides of the river have a bike path. I prefer the east one because the west one has an abrupt ending if you miss the bridge about 4 miles after turning off the 237 path. Take the Guadalupe Bike Path to downtown. Probably not the fastest way to to downtown San Jose but the 12 or so miles of bike path helps relieve the stress of the first 12 or so miles of traffic. I would guess it's about a 32 mile ride all together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.