Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was adjusting the tension on my Shimano 520s I rounded the hex screws on both pedals. Luckily, one adjuster on each pedal still works. Other than adjusting the screws to the same tension setting as the rounded hex screws is there any way of salvaging the other side?

-ryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go buy a good set of torx sockets...

Using a hammer a little elbow grease the torx bit will bite on the screw...

And don't use standard allen wrenches on a metric screw anymore :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
gooder77 said:
So while I was adjusting the tension on my Shimano 520s I rounded the hex screws on both pedals. Luckily, one adjuster on each pedal still works. Other than adjusting the screws to the same tension setting as the rounded hex screws is there any way of salvaging the other side?

-ryan
another option is to cut a slot into the screw cap with a dremel type of tool (using a cutting wheel)... then, replace the screw.

·
EDR
10,309 Posts
in addition to the options above you could drill out the screw with a drill bit about half the size of the screw. Be aware that if you mess up the threads doing this you then have ruined the pedal or at the least you will need a tap to re-chase the threads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
logbiter said:
another option is to cut a slot into the screw cap with a dremel type of tool (using a cutting wheel)... then, replace the screw.
Not sure if I'll be able to use a dremmel since the screw head is recessed into the pedal. I'm sure I'd mess that one up real quick.

I may try the torx option since someone in my family has a set lying around in their garage. As for screw replacement, should I go to my LBS and hope they have a similar size hanging around somewhere or should I try my luck at a hardware store?

-ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts