Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know which of these 3 rotors would resist fading the best?

I currently have the roundagon on the front and G2 on the rear. No issues whatsoever so this is just a hypothetical question.

I've read the problems that some have with the roundagons such as noise but I have no problems. My gut says the most mass would give the best fade resistance but the G3 is touted by Avid as having better heat dissipation (but they don't mention fade specifically) and has the least mass.

So the question is if resistance to fade was the only criteria for these 3 rotors, which ones would you choose?

My guess is that the roundagons would take first place, the G3s dissipate heat the quickest but not quick enough to make up for the lack of mass, and the G2s would be in the middle.

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is hypothetical, so don't take my word on it:

Mass correlates to the amount of heat the rotor can absorb per unit temperature, the design (relating to the amount of surface area) correlates to how much heat the rotor can dissipate.

Brake fade, as I take it, is a function of both of these. Roundagons, having the most mass would heat up slower as they have more mass to heat up, but having less surface area to the amount of mass, once they heat up they are slower to dissipate the heat.

G2, and to a greater extent the G3, seem to have better designs to dissipate heat, but have less mass so they the heat accumulated results in a higher temperature, but at the same time are faster to cool down.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Not hypothetical here....

I'm 220 lbs geared and ride Avid brakes. The brakes came with roundagons, 185 front/160 rear, but I switched within a couple of months to G2 cleansweeps of the same size for the very reason being discussed. Hands down the G2s resist fade MUCH better than the roundagons did. I haven't had the oprotunity or need to try the G3s yet so can't comment on them. The bottom line is, when it comes to fade resistance mass has much less to do with it than the ability of the rotor to cool quickly, at least when it comes to roundagons and G2s. I am sure there is a point where less mass is going to take over and have more of an effect on fade resistance. But between the G2 and roundagon practical experience shows that the G2 resists heat induced fade quite a bit better. Whether the G3 rotor would be better or worse I can't say.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers!

I'm getting bored with the bike, trying not to spend money on things I don't need but I may be ordering a cleansweep rotor anyway to give me something new to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.