Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will swapping rotors make that much a difference?

Currently I have tektro brakes.
I will be upgrading to BB7's (not interested in hydros) and the sets come with new rotors.

anything wrong with the thought of using the current rotors until they are toast (still plenty of life left in them) or will the performance improvements of the new rotors make round can the tektros necessary?

·
RAKC
7,604 Posts
Imo doesn't matter to much. I just switched from bb7 to hydros and put my old tektro rotor 160mm on the rear in place of the 180mm I had there and works fine.

Really only difference ull see would be in weight and noise if any. Better rotors could make a difference in some types of riding but just for casual use it'll be fine.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The only other thing I could think of would be if the rotor had any imperfection than you would be wearing the new pads the same way. Also I believe the bb7's have slightly different shaped pads their rotors may line up better.

The avid rotors should definitely be nicer....Why not just put the new rotors on?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,519 Posts
If the pads and rotors in question match up shape-wise (meaning the pads aren't hanging off the edge of the rotor), then it's not a big deal. BUT, Avid BB7's use wider pads than some other brands of brakes. For example, BB7 pads hang off the inside edge of Shimano rotors, which causes a lip to develop on the pads over time. It can cause catastrophic problems if it's not addressed by sanding or replacing the pads.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
I recently switched out my Tektro rotors for some Airotors...I got a new wheelset and am using my old wheelset as a tow-path/paved trail set. I put the old rotors on the old set and am using my new rotors on the Tektro brakes/new wheelset. Don't think it's that big of a deal and I saved about 80gm. not really a bean counter, but new brakes didn't seem necessary. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the pads for even wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts