Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a bleed on my wife's bike which has the low end (but surprisingly ok) shimano BR315. So I check the pads and notice one is way more worn and has deep scores. Sure enough that side of the rotor is very rough around the cutouts. Doing something about it would require a lot of detail sanding. Should I just ignore it and expect to replace pads more often? Are there any cheap rotors (say on aliexpress) that are better machined?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Which rotors do you have now? And what do you consider "cheap". Shimano rotors can be had for less than $15 all day long, and are typically good quality as far as machining goes.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
You aren't going to find anything new at that price point with better machining. Highly-finished rotors start creeping in around $50 a pop.

Personally, not a big deal. Wear the pads out, and replace them. New pads for those calipers are under $12 at retail.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is this causing poor braking performance? There is *minimal* technology in a rotor--the most important part of the braking surface is the roughness in the grinding. This smooths out over time [when rotor is worn].
If you have burrs then that is another story...
Maybe something was jammed in between the pad/rotor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.