Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building-up a new set of race wheels that will have IS 6 hole mount hubs for the rotors instead of the XTR centerlocks that I have been using on my current wheels. I'm looking for some suggestions for a good light 160mm rotor that will be compatible with my XTR 970 brakes. I'd love to find something reasonably light and not too expensive. I realize that this may not be possible so I am also looking for any reasonable rotor that is compatible with XTR brakes and doesn't squeal. I am using the XTR resin brake pads. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
I have used a few different brands of rotors with my 970's. I am no longer running the Titanium resin pads, but semi metallic for increased braking power.

With that being said, I am currently running 203mm Ashima AiRotors front and rear. You will get a slight amount of pulsation, but these rotors are superlight and not too expensive. They will squeal when wet, but even my Shimano XT (SM-RT95(160mm) and SM-RT95 DH (203mm)) rotors squealed when wet.

Edit: Snapped a few quick pics so you'll know which rotor I'm referring to:

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
xmynameisdan said:
Why not just use Shimano 6 bolt rotors? I think their "high end" version is label as XT level.
I have found that for some reason the XT level 6 bolt rotors can be rather hard to find in stock a lot of places. Given, that was months ago I was trying to source some for a friend so stock levels might be better now.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Duff Man said:
I have found that for some reason the XT level 6 bolt rotors can be rather hard to find in stock a lot of places. Given, that was months ago I was trying to source some for a friend so stock levels might be better now.
I eventually ended up finding a set of 203's on Ebay. the 160's and 180's are much more common on there.

Falldog said:
I've looked around this Forum. I am sure the answer is here...but...Can ISO, 6-bolt Rotors be used with XTR 970 Disc Brake Calipers?
It's hard to tell, but I am in fact running ISO/6 bolts in my pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.