Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples experiences and thoughts on using rotor rings? They are not cheap but if they give you a little extra umphhh! I think the price may be worth the investment.
I generally run a 32x20 or 34x21 but hear that you can mash a larger gear with them. Just looking for the magic that will make me a bit faster. Thanks, Ryon

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
I use them on my road bike and before I went SS and 1x10, I used them on my mtbs. They seem to make a bigger difference on my mtb than myroad bike. my guess is that effect is more pronounced the slower your cadence. That being said, I have messed around with the OCP on my road bike a bit and have noticed some gains on my indoor trainer. It's hard to be objective with these things; most studies haven't shown much if any difference. To my knowledge, there hasn't been any large studies on mtbs.

At the very least, they have a strong placebo effect which can be very effective.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I been using them for years on my roadbike and mtb, in my opinion it does not make you going faster but it feels more natural and on long rides it makes me less tired, i use it on my single speed the 34 ring and had never any problems like dropping the chain, it feels very comfortable and in OCP 3 i noticed an improvement in climbing when standing. l say give it a try, it is a little bit expensive but the chainring lasts a long time. it feels very good when using high cadence also, the movement feels much rounder then with the regular rings. Bottom line you like it or you dont is my opinion

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
I used one SS for a while. I found that in "near spin-out" situations, I was more comfortable w/a lower heart rate, but when I was grunting up a hill standing, I'd spin my rear tire noticeably more than with a round chainring.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. What about sizing? Do I buy up a few teeth than I generally would run, or run identical size?
I am all about the placebo stuff, as I recognize that works with new bike stuff. Hopefully, I can learn how to not spin it out.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thanks for the info. What about sizing? Do I buy up a few teeth than I generally would run, or run identical size?
I am all about the placebo stuff, as I recognize that works with new bike stuff. Hopefully, I can learn how to not spin it out.
Thanks again.
The singlespeed ring only comes in one size 34T.

I dropped a tooth in the rear when I went I replaced my round 34 with a Rotor ring, and it felt about right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.