Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Avid BB5s on my bike, and the rotors are bent and need to be replaced. I'm confused looking at Alligator, Avid, etc. Are the $10-$15 Alligators a lower quality than the more expensive rotors, or is it just paying for the name?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I asked the same question at my LBS since I hit a rear rotor and bent it and am looking for a replacement. I don't mind paying the premium for the Avids if they are actually better. His response was the Avids "supposedly have a better/different metal that cools quicker and lasts longer". He said "supposedly", not that he saw any differences himself. That's enough for me.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I've been using the Alligators with my BB7's for over a year now. Just purchased another set to go with my Juicy 7's. No issues with the Alligators. Great stopping power, zero noise.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've got an Alligator wavy rotor on my bike. Although it is straight, it must be thicker in some part than the other because it rubs and requires spot-on adjustment. In my opinion, Hayes rotors are better.

·
Registered
259 Posts
how about those gold Alligator rotors for about $25? those looks great and i'd like to upgrade to those on my bike. do they work great on any type of disc brake?

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
The gold colored Alligator rotors have a Titanium-nitrite coating. Its supposed to help with corrosion protection and it gives it a pretty color.

Personally I'd save the extra10 bux and get the standard stainless steel rotors.

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
Due to the terrain I ride I am prone to trashing disks on rocks, so get through loads!!!

The best disks I have found are quite simply the cheapest ones.

I have tried ~a dozen disks, the only disk with noticably different braking force was the Hope 220mm floating rotors.
They were **** and got sent back to hope, worst disks EVER.

I have also looked at the TiNi disks, not sure it would be worth the extra. TiNi is a lower friction surface and would be ground off by sintered pads on the first few uses.

With organic pads there could be something in the low reactivity of the disk, might repel containments. but that is theoretical, I would like to know if anyone has used?

Cheap rotors seem to be the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts