Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a new set of wheels(lighter/stronger) which are 6-bolt, and the wheels I'm replacing where Center lock XT(with XT brakes).....

So while looking for a set of rotors to work with my new wheelset and my XT brakes...(Feel free to make suggestions here too)..I was wondering what if any are performance differences within the Same Size rotors...i.e. Shimano 6 bolt 160 and the Avid G3? or Formula 160? or Marta 160?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The first thing to do is check the 'swept depth', which is the amount of rotor's diameter which is in contact with the pad. What you are trying to avoid is the pad clamping onto the blades of the rotor....this causes pulsing and squeal usually.

The Avid G3 are powerful and pretty light
Shimano 6-bolt are boat anchors
Formula are supposedly quite good and v.light.

the other option are the hope X2 Pro rotors.....they're a bit thinner but will work well too I believe.

·
Registered
832 Posts
AlexRandall said:
The first thing to do is check the 'swept depth', which is the amount of rotor's diameter which is in contact with the pad. What you are trying to avoid is the pad clamping onto the blades of the rotor....this causes pulsing and squeal usually.
This is also something to look at on new bikes...or Avid Juicy 5's because on my brand new bike (last year) there was a few mm of pad gripping the blades.

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
Biggest thing is how much do you weigh and how hard do you ride? If you weigh 210+ I would go with a beefier rotor as it will be hard to get the stopping power you need for a longer period. You'll be cooking your pads rotors and fluid often.

I use Ashima AiRotor on Avid Juicy Ultimates with no complaints, great power, great modulations. In one season of riding I've cookied my brake fluid once. Aside from that no problems.

·
Registered
832 Posts
GiantMartin said:
In one season of riding I've cookied my brake fluid once.
I have never heard this phrase before - are you saying you overheated the rotors and thus killed the fluid?

If so I either don't use my brakes enough or just have never done this...I have touched my rotor's before after a long downhill/braking situation and they don't get that hot (of course that is relative).

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
jbsmith said:
I have never heard this phrase before - are you saying you overheated the rotors and thus killed the fluid?

If so I either don't use my brakes enough or just have never done this...I have touched my rotor's before after a long downhill/braking situation and they don't get that hot (of course that is relative).
He is saying that the hydraulic fluid in his brakes exceeded their boiling point, and boiled. This causes all the gas trapped in the fluid to leave and your brakes to go mushy, so they need to be bled, and maybe flushed out with new fluid, but I can't be sure on the second point.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I weight in at 200lbs and am hard on my bikes. I've tried lots of rotors and the only ones I can keep from warping are the avid roundagon and the Magura rotors. Right now I use the Magura rotors on all my bikes with avid brakes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok- so far I gather no real performance between rotors of the same size...except for weight and in some cases durability(but even that sounds like a issue of thick or thin size)?

Is this right?

I will say that the XT's with CL have been flawless in terms of performance....and that my only concern or possible reget with new wheels is having to mess with something that works soo well... but I may just try the G3's and if that doesn't work as well or better than I'll just put the XT rotors back on.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
The Magura 160mm rotors are made by Galfer - who makes the best some of the best motorcycle rotors. I've tried them all(Hayes V2, Avid G2/G3, Formula, Shimano XTR, etc.) and I think for their modest 109g weight....they are hard to beat. They stop quietly and solid too.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
metelhead said:
I have just purchased a new set of wheels(lighter/stronger) which are 6-bolt, and the wheels I'm replacing where Center lock XT(with XT brakes).....

So while looking for a set of rotors to work with my new wheelset and my XT brakes...(Feel free to make suggestions here too)..I was wondering what if any are performance differences within the Same Size rotors...i.e. Shimano 6 bolt 160 and the Avid G3? or Formula 160? or Marta 160?

Thanks
Wondering same thing....Avid Roundagon, G2, G3 performance, pad life, etc. differences?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made a move to the Formula R1's....that said I will say I'm curious as to how they will perform. The one thing I see with the XT CL is how stiff they are(side to side) and I'm sure this is one of the reasons they such consistent power and quiet. Will report back on the R1's stay tuned.....

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Natedogz said:
Wondering same thing....Avid Roundagon, G2, G3 performance, pad life, etc. differences?
Regarding Avid rotors...the 99g Clean Sweep Serpentine rotor is by far the BEST. Galfer tried to sue them for copyright/design infringement in 2004, so Avid quit making them.
eBay has the surplus on sale occasionally for VERY CHEAP:

Attachments

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
I was making a pretty long steep descent and stayed on my brakes a little too long. The heat from the rotors and caliper made the DOT fluid boil making the brakes pretty well non existent. Happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.