Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem getting my 203mm front fork rotor to avoid hitting the internal center of the caliper. I installed an Origin8 Torq-Lite 180mm bracket with stock hardware but the rotor top continues contacting the caliper (not the shoes) unless I apply a few mm gap between the lower bracket and the caliper. I know applying a few small washers are not a safe solution so is it possible that bracket is the problem?

It's installed it correctly (larger spacing up, lower spacing down)

-Cane Creek Helm Coil Fork (fits 180mm rotors stock)
-Origin8 TorQ-Lite 180mm Bracket
-203mm TRP slotted one piece rotor
-Trp Slate T4 Caliper brake
Blue White Line Bicycle part Azure

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt on the right of the image above isn't fully tight. Once it's fully tightened the rotor locks up when it's rising edge hits the internal caliper bolt.

It's very possible the Origin8 brake torq-lite adapter was only suited for Origin8's small flange rotors. Drastically smaller than a TRP rotor edge.

image below
left-old Origin8 180mm rotor
right-new trp 203mm rotor
Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Rim Crankset Groupset

If anyone has suggestions of a working adapter for a TRP slate T4 brake, TRP 203mm rotor, and CC Helm Fork please post them.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
Yep.

160mm to 180mm adapter increases the the rotor size by 20mm
180mm to 203mm adapter increases the the rotor size by 23mm

180mm post mount + 20mm adapter = 200mm rotor
180mm post mount + 23mm adapter = 203mm rotor
Yep. That extra 3mm of rotor diameter is critical. I pretty much use Shimano adapters for everything because they make a fit for just about everything. In digging around for adapters, I find that a lot of the other brands of adapters aren't available in certain fits, or their post-post adapters require 4 bolts instead of 2 longer ones, which seems a kludge.

·
B A N N E D
5,388 Posts
In a pinch, you could add a cup/cone pair under each caliper mounting tab, with a number of caveats.
The cup/cone washers are 5mm thick, the extra thickness of them will pack the caliper out enough to fit a 210mm rotor, you should only a extra 1.5mm of spacing under each side of the caliper for correct alignment with a 203mm rotor.

1mm of radius = 2mm of diameter

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'd buy the correct TRP adapter.

It seems like overkill, because an adapter should be an adapter. However, sometimes brake parts don't play nicely with each other. If you spend much time on this forum you'll see people running Brand Y rotors with Brand Z calipers, and having issues. When they swap-in the correct Brand Z rotors all is good.

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: The shop owner gave me the wrong size adapter but once I got a bigger size I still had to add 2mm washers in between the adapter and the caliper but it's working well now.

It appears the TRP adapter is possibly one of the only adapters suited for Slate brakes if you don't intend to compensate with spacers. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
B A N N E D
5,388 Posts
It appears the TRP adapter is possibly one of the only adapters suited for Slate brakes if you don't intend to compensate with spacers. Thanks everyone for the help.
Shimano, Magura, Hope, Formula & Hayes also make adapters for 203mm rotors on 180mm post mounts, you could of used a adapter from any of those brands with your Slate.

Here's a Slate on a Fox36 with 180mm post mounts, a 203mm rotor and what's probably a Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM (180-203mm/23mm) adapter.

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.