Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was doing some repair on my wheels and tried to take my rotors off their hubs, 1 of the 6 bolts that kept the rotor bolted to the hub is stripped, does anyone have any way of getting this out or homemade methods of getting stripped screws out?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Been there, done that. Using a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, simply cut a slot in the head of the torx bolt and remove with large slot screwdriver. If that doesn't work, grind the head off the bolt remove disk then, use a pair of vice grips to grab what's left of the bolt and remove. Or before cutting or grinding anything, Sears makes a 3 piece kit with bits that fit into stripped bolts, torx, phillips, allen etc. Simply find the bit which fits best put it in your electric drill and there you go. Hope this helps. When replacing the disk on the hub, I suggest new torx bolts, blue loctite, and a mechanics quality T25 torx wrench availible at any quality mechanic's auto supply house.
austinb89 said:
i was doing some repair on my wheels and tried to take my rotors off their hubs, 1 of the 6 bolts that kept the rotor bolted to the hub is stripped, does anyone have any way of getting this out or homemade methods of getting stripped screws out?

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! thank you!, i thought i was just flat out screwed, ill try some of ur ideas

·
whatever she says gueuze.
370 Posts
What a pain..

Yep, happened to me also. I hate the crappy Hayes torx wrench. I just used a small drill bit and drilled the bolt out. Be very CAREFULL though. First, make sure the drill bit is much smaller than the hole by sticking it in the other holes. Then, carefully drill the bolt out softly, do not use too much pressure because the last thing you'd want is to mess up the hub. You don't have to drill the bolt all the way and then it should come out easily. Hope that helps.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soo i take a drill and drill into the bolt, but after i got a small hole in the bolt then what?

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I had the same problem . . .

if it is a shimanino(sp) style "hex head" bolt and not Torx you can use a 7 or 9 mm open end wrench and just twist that sucker out. Saves on the scary drilling and such . . .

·
whatever she says gueuze.
370 Posts
rotor fix

After I got a hole in the middle of the bolt, the bolt became soft and weak so I just pulled it out. It worked for me, no guarantees though. Good luck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Easy-out

Its called an easy-out.

You drill a hole in the bolt and screw one of these in. It is tapered and has reverse threads. you screw it in counter clock wise and it will bite and start to remove the screw as you tur nit...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.