Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried using Rotor cranks on a SS ? could be interesting. If only they would ditch the flexy square taper B.B. spindle.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
I asked this too....Buy them and tell us.

You know, I asked this question a few months ago after seeing them at Sea Otter and got several replys. It seems some think they may help and others think they are mostly marketing hype. Tthe common theme to the replys was......"It's a lot of money to find out, but if you drop the money I'm sure some of us would be happy to hear what you think". I opted to wait for the next guy to buy them.........I guess that's you ;)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I have had a brief ride on a set, and they seemed very very strange for about 200yards, then felt great! My biggest problem with them was the way they monkeyed around with your feet when you were riding in the "cranks horizontal" position, making it strange to do weight shifts (pop the front end up) over trail obstacles.

It felt a little like a GT I drive in that respect :)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
My experience was the same. If the then-distributor had not promised me a sponsored set beforehand, I might have bought them myself. I did the testride on a boulevard with fierce winds, looking out on a beachrace I didn't enter because I was that ill. No ideal circumstnaces to test such a $$$ product. Oh, and the bike it was, on, was 2 sizes too small. Still, within the minute most of the weird feeling was gone, and I was hammering against the wind at surprising speeds. I know some people riding them, but their answers are always incomclusive. I think they might want to keep them to themselves for as long as possible. Indeed, when pedaling you're fine, but when you stop, it feels really unnatural, and as if the thing is busted. Onl the testride of the BBN Speedy cranks was more impressive. I have a set that I never managed to give back to the owner, the BBN rep, which seemed to have vanished after I got them. Questionnable BB fit made me not try to mount them in years. Telescopic crank arms, varying the length 160-190, really neat, if it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.