Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some ice-tec 203/180 rotors on the bike. Suspecting the front rotor is getting thin because it's constantly going out of true. So thinking I should get some new rotors.

So what do I want?
6-bolt
203 front/180 rear
No lightweight poor brake performance rotors
Would be fun with some green bling to colour match with the bike
Likely no need for cooling fins

Hit me up with some suggestions!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Got some ice-tec 203/180 rotors on the bike. Suspecting the front rotor is getting thin because it's constantly going out of true. So thinking I should get some new rotors.

So what do I want?
6-bolt
203 front/180 rear
No lightweight poor brake performance rotors
Would be fun with some green bling to colour match with the bike
Likely no need for cooling fins

Hit me up with some suggestions!
You'll most likely want to stick with ice techs, they perform well and wouldn't require an adapter change. Going to a 200 would most likely require adapter change.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know. Ice-tec rotors are good. But how fun is it to buy the same stuff every time? ;) And some bling wouldn't be bad on the otherwise pretty boring looking bike.

·
825 Posts
My all time favorite rotors? Alligators, inexpensive rotors made for the now defunct company Price Point. They looked cool, they were quiet, and they were dirt cheap. Currently, I'm running Ice-Techs, and I'm unimpressed. They have a tendency to distort when heated up. This occurs even after a short, hard deceleration when it's steep. It's even more pronounced on prolonged downhills. The symptom is a "swish, swish, swish" that goes on until the rotors cool back down. I'm used to it now, but it's still an annoyance.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Did you measure the rotor thickness?

I doubt there are good colored rotors as the paint would wear quickly.

If you don't need the icetech cooling, get the old SLX (RT56 or66...Google for it) that are solid. They basically are 1 step below icetech and not sandwiched.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did measure them. According to Shimano not to thin yet.

About bling rotors, I would'nt buy painted rotors. Think Hope floating rotors with anodized spindle.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
If you want color the Hopes look pretty good mounted up. I never had an issue with the Ice_Tech rotors, but I was running them on Centerlock wheels using Shimano brakes so everything played nicely together.
Wheel Blue Spoke Bicycle wheel rim Transport

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want color the Hopes look pretty good mounted up. I never had an issue with the Ice_Tech rotors, but I was running them on Centerlock wheels using Shimano brakes so everything played nicely together.
View attachment 1265183
Sadly Hope does not have green anodized rotors to match my bike.

·
Registered
505 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.