Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up with the burn marks on the inside of the rotors?! :shocked: Anyone else have this problem? Wondering if this should be a concern?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Yup cooked rotor, I have done that on long downhill runs, the surface looks pretty scored up, you can clean it up with sand paper or a good file...

·
Registered
647 Posts
jeffscott said:
Yup cooked rotor, I have done that on long downhill runs, the surface looks pretty scored up, you can clean it up with sand paper or a good file...
Don't listen to this advice, you'd probably needlessly mar the rotor more by following it.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
General Hickey said:
Don't listen to this advice, you'd probably needlessly mar the rotor more by following it.
Yeah, I have wreck at least 10 rotors cleaning them up...

Keep everything flat and go easy you will be fine, every rotor sooner or later either needs to be cleaned up or replaced..

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Try going one size up on the front and work your braking technique. I have noticed that Avids tend to get that burned look kind of easy. I have a G2 clean sweep with my Magura martas on the back, 160 mm. They seemed to turn fast where the 160mm magura SL rotor didnt.

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
That would be thermal energy that was kinetic energy which before that was potential energy. Your brakes are doing their job!

If the descent that did that is a routine descent for you, you might as someone said look into the next size larger rotor.

Eddy

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like I'm using the brakes too much perhaps. Can't put on larger rotors, won't fit on the frame. It's an '07 Specialized Epic. Will just have to learn to decend more efficiently! I'm replacing with a new rotor, had one laying around. Also put on new pads. The other ones seems to need a good sanding anyway. Just worried about the condition of the burnt rotor still.

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
It's fine.

It just shows that you actually ride your bike and use your brakes. Has no negative effect on anything...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It truely isn't a big deal....

the rotor is fine, though it looks like it could stand a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol. The discoloration is simply from heat build up. You'd have to get em allot hotter than the temps it takes to discolor the steel to do any damage to them. The rotor is still safe to use no worries. Since you've already replaced it, just hang onto the discolored rotor, clean it up and save it as a "just in case" spare.

Good Dirt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts