Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
i made a lower offer on that one and never got a responce. maybe you'll have better luck.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vdubbusrider said:
i made a lower offer on that one and never got a responce. maybe you'll have better luck.
I've actually had two emails back. We're both in Huntington Beach, so maybe that helps.

When I sell on Craigslist, I don't take lower offers from people who haven't come to see an item - especially by email. I assume the condition needs to be evaluated and then a final price can be reached. That being said, I do reply to anyone who makes a reasonable offer - usually inviting them come see it or offering to send more detailed photos, etc.

Cason

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cegrover said:
Any ideas on the year of this Ross Mt. Rainier? I'm considering buying it...

I bought the bike primarily because it has rollercams (with the "Cunningham Design" script - did they all have it?), which will now go on my Paramountain. That means I'll probably be parting it out, although I guess I could put the XT U-brakes from the Paramountain on the Ross, but I was planning on keeping the extra U-brakes as backup for the Arrival and Montare.

Other highlights:
  • Tange MTB tubing - large frame (I'm 6'1" and the standover height is borderline for me)
  • Full Suntour except for STX RD (obviously not original)
  • Those unknown model Araya rims that were on so many bikes in the 80s
  • XC Sport hubs
  • Sugino VP cranks

In summary, it looks like this was a mid-level bike from around 1986-1987. I literally picked it up on the way to work, so I'll check it out more tonight and will post component details and should be able to confirm its birth year using First Flight's component listings.

Cason

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
bushpig said:
The early Rollercams said Cunningham Designed, but I am pretty sure the later ones (XC Pro, XCD) didn't. I have a box of arms that I am getting this summer and will have a look.
I dont think it says anything on the arms, just on the cams. As far as I know all the earlier ones did like you said. The XC Pro roller cam sure is a rare find.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
Only made for 1 year. 1984 I believe.
Well, I meant the later one, maybe 1990 or 91. Its a nice looking brake and the arms look much more like the genuine WTB arms. But ya, the early, drilled-out one with the threaded pads and linear springs is a bit tough to find as well.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
I should have been more specific, I meant on the cams. I am eager to see what is in my rollercam box. I have at least two pairs of Pros, if not more, a couple with the holes in the arms, and the funny 6000 one, non gray, that used the reverse accordian style spring. The shop I worked at was very roller cam friendly. We built a lot of custom bikes with front and rear roller cams, usually XC Pro by later on WTB.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Photos!

I'm not sure what generation these rollercams are, but they have holes in them and they say "XC Power" underneath "Suntour" (see photo #2). I also included a photo of one spring (photo #3). Looks like the brakes just need a little TLC in the form of polish.

The fourth and final photo shows a bonus item that came with the bike - a pair of Suntour XC pedals in good shape. Those may also go on the Paramountain, though it has good XT pedals on it now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts