Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
Read my posts, I always urge people to bring extra water. But that seems to mean different things to different people and it drives me crazy. But if I invite someone on a ride I am responsible for them and they'll get my food and water if they need it. Coe riders have plenty of hydration experience. Not picking on you, but many "mild [temperature], sea level Bay Area" people aren't used to hot temperatures nor elevation, their effects on hydration needs, and too many have gotten in trouble by not listening to me. Weight weenies are also often a problem. Anybody who "worships" me is crazy. Did you note I said I am not doing Rose to Toads, not enough daylight for my slow pace? And anybody who doesn't prepare, both physically and mentally, for a big, new ride, is also crazy.
No worries here about “e-penis” concerns, your statements and observations are totally understood in regard to these ass-kicker rides. Have been to Coe on a small handful of rides (average distance of around 50 miles and average footies accrued of around 11,000) and so I totally understand what is expected of a person willing to take on such a challenge. Message here = BE PREPARED. As in, super-fuckin’ prepared for anything that can go wrong (which surely will if your flatlander ass is thinking about carbon weight-weenie luxuries).

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
What are you referring to here? Van Sickle at TRT junction climbing onward on TRT is all singletrack and pretty mellow for quite a ways.
VS TRT junction onward is a quick ST, to the FR junction. If you continue on ST there, you get to the ski lifts and then it is quite tough ST up. If you choose the easier FR route to TRT, it is fairly steep for ~1mi until it meets TRT ST again. There onward on TRT is mellow with some HAB.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
If somebody reads an internet post and goes on a 60 mile route at high altitude in hot weather without proper preparation, it is their damn problem. Stop picking on Wherewolf, he is doing no harm.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Drama queens

If somebody reads an internet post and goes on a 60 mile route at high altitude in hot weather without proper preparation, it is their damn problem.
Yep. Bunch of drama queens! I provide an elevation profile, a suggested alternate route with caveats, and people may do with them what they wish. If they read more into that it is their own fault. But all this drama and arguing is stupid, especially from busybodies who won't even be doing the ride. If this is a new ride for you I highly recommend examining what I have provided, thank me, and realistically evaluate your capabilities and preparation.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Coe

No worries here about “e-penis” concerns, your statements and observations are totally understood in regard to these ass-kicker rides. Have been to Coe on a small handful of rides (average distance of around 50 miles and average footies accrued of around 11,000) and so I totally understand what is expected of a person willing to take on such a challenge. Message here = BE PREPARED. As in, super-****in’ prepared for anything that can go wrong (which surely will if your flatlander ass is thinking about carbon weight-weenie luxuries).
I think Coe rides are a lot tougher than Tahoe rides and I have avoided them due to the heat and climbing. But if one has not ridden at altitude a few times they might want to reconsider the Tahoe ride. I've had a few people get altitude sickness up there.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yep. Bunch of drama queens! I provide an elevation profile, a suggested alternate route with caveats. But all this drama and arguing is stupid, especially from busybodies who won't even be doing the ride.
You do see the irony in this statement as you aren't doing the ride, nor likely can you, especially when doing your your "suggestions". Also, can you please point out the caveats you seem to think you posted in your original post, the one at the very top, as I see no caveats until TBC started calling you out on your post.

My first comment was strictly a friendly jab at you for the road comment, you decided you wanted to start an internet argument over it, not me. Too bad, I feel that you may have lost some respect from the MTBR community which was certainly not my intent. I was surprised to receive a bunch of positive reps comments for calling out the "grumpy ass old man", again, not my intent. Perhaps you can take what was said in this thread, re-examine it and learn from it. If not, no big deal, continue on as you have.

As for banning you. First off I would have no idea how to do that. Secondly I have no reason. You missed the point where I said I don't know or have a problem with you. I usually enjoy the pictures in your posts so this would make no sense.

Once again I would encourage you to re-examine this thread and try to take something different away from it.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
mtbr dismember

Wherewolf's Avatar Join Date
Jan 2004

"The lady doth post too much, methinks". A lot of activity from someone that "doesn't care what people think".

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Did I hear Drama Queen?

Yep. Bunch of drama queens! I provide an elevation profile, a suggested alternate route with caveats, and people may do with them what they wish. If they read more into that it is their own fault. But all this drama and arguing is stupid, especially from busybodies who won't even be doing the ride. If this is a new ride for you I highly recommend examining what I have provided, thank me, and realistically evaluate your capabilities and preparation.
I came running thinking Wherewolf had called me out, but then I got confused by "busybodies who won't even be doing the ride". Hmmm, are you referring to ... um... LP, Axe, etc. (or maybe they are actually doing the R2T ride? plus hey, they tried to help you) or... you... yourself? :skep: Ha, a great sense of humor there after all!

Mr. Mud and I are in for the TAMBA Rose-to-Toads ride. Only our second year doing it (okay, he did it two weekends in a row, but still less than some other veterans here). Hoping my cough (aftermath of TS100) will go away; and if not, glad to donate to TAMBA for the three days/year of riding I do in Tahoe. Hope to see ALL of you on the trails (even if not all at Tramway Market), and I for one, will say "hi." Oh, when I'm huffing and puffing too hard, it could be a silent "hi", but rest assured, it's there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
VS TRT junction onward is a quick ST, to the FR junction. If you continue on ST there, you get to the ski lifts and then it is quite tough ST up. If you choose the easier FR route to TRT, it is fairly steep for ~1mi until it meets TRT ST again. There onward on TRT is mellow with some HAB.
Thanks. I've done this section of TRT quite a few times, but never tried that variation. I like the singletrack section this bypasses, but it's good to have options. The new trail from Stagecoach parking lot has been open for awhile too. So if you're riding Stagecoach to Toads like we did yesterday you bypass the now closed steep ski slope trail. Just missed the huge hailstorm which hit soon after we finished.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
I'm late to the party. Not to weigh in on the topic, but to say that I'm doing this ride too! Yay. Been too many years contemplating it. Funny though, that my one issue is with how much to carry. Or more accurately, how little. The thing is, I HATE BACKPACKS ON RIDES. I don't even know where to begin, but let me just say that they suck ass, and drag me down. I've been relying solely on waterbottles lately, but that's gotten me in trouble since I've had some recent issues with being underprepared. My fitness level is pretty good right now, but I'm just not sure how much I should risk running bottles, although knowing there are a few spots to rehydrate along the way, I'm still considering it. 3 bottles is @ 60 oz. That should easily get me from Rose to Star Lake. The question is, how much do I need to get from Daggett Station to the bottom of Toads? That's when I'd be sucking down the most water and hitting bonk zone. Is 60 oz. for me enough? Only if the spring past Star Lake is running, which I doubt. The answer to this question will either make me wear a pack, or have me descending Armstrong Pass trail.

Thoughts?

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
No topic to weigh in anyway since the post that started it all was emptied. But I doubt anyone dare telling you if 60oz is enough FOR YOU or not. However, I will say that I did do the 2012 TAMBA R2T ride without a pack. Had three shorties (20oz) on my bike along with all the repair gears (I had bags all over my bike). Remember feeling the weight of the bike on the hike-a-bike to Monument Pass. I don't like packs either, but this year, I plan to bring a lumbar pack to take weight off of my bike. BTW, lumbar pack works better for me than the conventional camelbaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the store route when doing Rose to ____ because you can resupply on blunt wraps, cookies, and cherry coke. nutrition for the alpine! Slam a liter of chilled H20 then 3 2 1!

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
TahoeBC, how much extra time you think it will require by going over Marlette Overlook vs. taking Flume due to the added climbing and distance? I'm toying with the idea of changing things up a little since we took Flume last time.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts