Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I played around a bunch with swapping out the fork.

The angles: adding the lyrik slackened it to 66.7degs.(took me awhile to figure out how to figure that out). The front end sits a little higher with 160 and a taller crown. From axle to bottom of the head tube it is almost exactly an inch and an 1/8th higher. Feels a lot better when riding down hill. With old fork while riding, felt like I was perched way to forward. My style is over the front end anyways and it felt really pronounced with the lower and steeper G2 fox. I would normally ride a medium, but got the large with this in mind because with the medium I was looking down over the front of the tire when test riding. Now im looking down over the hub when riding downhill. Position on the bike feels way more comfy!

The axle to axle hasnt changed. Even though the fox was set forward, how can I say this... it was not as slack as the head tube was. It was almost like the head tube is at a 67 deg angle and the fork was at a 69 deg angle. So with the new fork it follows the frames head angle and puts the axle in the same spot as the fox had brought the axle back to.

The front end is very responsive and quick still. I have a 40mm sunline stem. I had read reviews about the G2 front end being too twitchy and during test riding I understand what they were talking about. I noticed it too with the long stem and the forward G2. I think GF did it so that you could maneuver around switch backs and stuff much easier, but ripping down hill sections made it a little sketchy and sketchier still with rocks and more tech stuff. The slacker HT angle, the shorter stem, and a larger frame puts me in a great attack position, but still feels light, quick and very responsive on ups and DH.

In short it feels a lot better( as awesome as this bike already is)!! I think I can really keep up on all the tech uphills that I have been missing out on and still have a bike that allows me the confidence, speed and flow on the DH with a strong and lightweight frame. Lets me make the most of both styles of riding in one bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually had a remedy 7 for a little while because my LBS wasnt supposed to get any of the Roscoe's in. While I liked the Remedy and 3 of my friends were riding them too, I do think that the top tube is angled too high, or the head tube sits to high from the ground, if this makes sense. I got the feeling like I was just sat on top of the bike and just steering the ship. My riding mates with the Remedy's all said the same thing too. While it didnt feel bad it wasnt great either.

The Roscoe feels like your actually in the bike not on it. Probably sounds weird! Maybe someone with better communication skillz can say it better than I. The Roscoe just feels like your integrated and the bike is responsive to everything, instead of sitting up on top of the Remedy just letting it take me for a ride where ever I was to point it.

I think that if your willing to invest the time and money in riding that you should not have to settle. And with the Remedy as nice as they are, for me, it felt like I was settling.

Maybe its just my riding style that made the Remedy feel awkward, but my freinds experienced the same "steering the ship" feeling as I did. One of them rode the Roscoe that I was demoing and sold his remedy the next week. And another friend sold his remedy for an sx trail.

So eventually I had a chance to get this Roscoe frame and built it up how I wanted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does a little bit, but I have downhill bikes that have higher BB's and they dont feel your sitting on top of a horse. Its just the overall diff. geo between the 2 bikes that lead me to choose the Roscoe over the Remedy. I think the Remedy needs a longer(actual, not virtual) top tube and a lower standover and I would have stayed on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the information and your findings. I presently have a Remedy 8 which I have ridden for the last year and a half. I now have in my posession a Roscoe II to test and consider buying. I love the Remedy unless I am riding switchbacks, longinsh climbs or chasing fast guys. The Roscoe feels much quicker and lighter even though the numbers do not support that feeling. The Remedy, however, feels much more plush and takes square edge hits much better. Both frames are large and most measurements are closer to being identical than I would have thought.

I am looking for a bit more xc feel out of my bike, thus my considering the Roscoe. I have reduced the travel on my Lyrik solo air to 150mm to gain a half degree of head angle and if I keep the remedy, will probably replace the Lyrik with a Revelation 150 which is almost 20 mm shorter and would move the head angle to 68.

Having the Roscoe, I am considering trying the G2 140 Fox Talas out on the Remedy to see how this feels. My big concern is the bottom bracket height would lose about half an inch and I suffer allot of pedal hits on the rocks as it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this as to what would be goood or bad?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried you 150mm lyrik on the roscoe? I bet it would feel awsome! Might help with some of those square edge hits you were talking about. Then you get into which front axle your gonna run when swapping the forks ... 15mm, 20mm, ...?

Its worth the extra tinkering though if you want to really see what feels best and make the most of your riding.

Since I took the G2 140mm fox off of the Roscoe I did try putting it on my friends Remedy and his Transition Covert to see how it would feel? He was under the impression that it was a magical fork! The Covert felt good, but the Remedy felt worse, un-rideable and comical even. It might feel kinda OK mashin up a steep incline, and is great for wheelie contests, but thats all! Dont do it, unless your totally board, need some entertainment and like swapping races back and forth!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
zaner31 said:
Have you tried you 150mm lyrik on the roscoe? I bet it would feel awsome! Might help with some of those square edge hits you were talking about. Then you get into which front axle your gonna run when swapping the forks ... 15mm, 20mm, ...?
I will sell the bike I don't keep so the remedy without the Lyrik and a g2 fork would not be hot items. I have Hope hubs so axle size is no big issue to me.

The San Fermin pic is just something I grabbed offline and have no relation to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.