Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up with ppl going in and removing roots along the trail? In another forum I posted the same question a while back and it seems the Don has got some "skill-less weenie" going around hacking up the roots! :mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are we talking about extensive root removal here? I suppose that's not the point. The last thing mountain bikers in the city need is some brain dead knuckle dragger removing tree roots and undermining healthy trees. The city is spending lots of money trying to replenish the urban canopy. This agitates me on any number levels, perhaps the least of which, is the fact that it negatively affects the trails. Yes, this sort of activity will go over great at city hall and with all the "naturalists", many of whom I do assume, would love to see mountain biking banned in the Don. (Caveat: I'm assuming there isn't a legitimate reason for this? Perhaps there is?)

If people want to ride on relatively smooth terrain then go and buy a road bike. :madman:

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
ThisIsMyName said:
If people want to ride on relatively smooth terrain then go and buy a road bike. :madman:
last year i paved albions parking lot.
this winter i planned to pave the black trails, is that going to be a problem too?

would you rather i risk crashing on one of those unsightly roots, impale myself on a razor sharp rock???

maybe its an animal, eating the roots. a troll perhaps.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's not sanctioned that's for sure

This is not a good development.

I'm involved with much of the work going on in the Don wrt trails. I can say that we have not done any root removal (well the odd one) in our work. We don't specifically go in and remove roots. We have done rock armouring on the roots of some sensitive trees (Butternuts mostly).

Do you happen to know who is doing this? And how prevalent it is?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I rode the Don this August first time and thought it was a cool track in the middle of a large metropolis. The roots never affected me but the garbage worried me some! CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No clue who it is but theres a couple areas that has gotten some root removal disservice done to them. Cant say how often or when its happening as my riding time down there depends on work and weather which both have been crappy to me lately.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should see this one area now that the leaves and such are gone. Looks like theres even more garbage there then before which probably is too.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some of the skill less weenie(s) handi work...
You can tell the cuts (circled areas) are relatively new from the colour and theres sap as well and ants feasting on it too.

This pic below is just further up about 10 feet and rooty as well and makes one wonder why those were left alone. :confused: Both sections have the other side to pass on so makes me wonder why would someone saw the roots when the easier line is still on the other side of the tree.

Another pic of the other root done away with months back. with the same thing as theres an easier line right beside it....:mad:

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is kind of pathetic. Isn't the whole point of biking to improve your skills and to try and ride through what nature puts in the way. I understand removal of stuff that is just enormous or completely unrideable but cutting roots of living trees to make riding easier and less techinical just seems stupid. I don't live in the GTA but I come up north to ride a couple of times a year and always ride the don and looks forward to how fun some of the sections are with all the roots sticking out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Whoever did this is a WUSS !
Instead of learning how to ride better .. why not just chop away and flattern any spot that I can't get over ... now that's the real spirit of MTBing ! Hey wuss.. if you are reading this .. let you know a little secret .. there is a paved trail on the other side of the river .. go there ..you'll feel like a much better rider.
BTW ..RA .. that's the little hump north of the jiggarmag ride...well " used to be a hump" anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have done some of the work on the Don trails the past few years.

I can back up the previous comments that we mostly rock armor the more sensitive roots for preservation reasons of the specific trees. ie: the Butternut trees. These armored areas are minimal. I would even hazard a guess that you probably wouldn't even know the roots are there. We don't just drop a rock on a root. We usually do some more technical rock work over these areas that I am talking about.

If you can let us know where these removed roots are then we can figure out if they were taken out for a reason or if they were removed maliciously due to lack of technical skills like you said.

Thanks for the pics, but a location would be greatly appreciated.

·
SASQUATCH!
138 Posts
Hi RA and Welder. The section pictured is immediately south of skinnymajig facing N. Look carefully at the second picture and you can just see it in the middle on the far right side of the frame.

This one root removal (besides the others I've mentioned on DM) is the most distressing to me because it was a really fun, *slightly* tricky section with an option to go right and avoid it. Worse, for someone who had trouble with it, the next few feet shown in the second pic would likely be show-stoppers anyway, so I don't think this gains them anything. It's a total waste.

If the person who did this is reading: do us all a favour and stick to road riding. :madmax:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Welder ,

Believe me , the only reason this Wuss A$$ cut into the live roots is to make way for himself due to lack of riding skill ! I found that happen at lot in the Don in the last few years , like the beloved chicken run .. too narrow , too high , too tough.. let's cut it down. I think this is just wrong !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, so I checked that area out. The damage is not as aggravating as it is in the pictures, and I'm not just trying to minimize the issue.

What I suspect happend to this area, as with other areas that are very tough climbs, is that the root got shredded by tires and broke, leaving a 'waggling' piece or two which is no good as grip and sometimes catches in spokes, etc. So someone just clipped it. Shoulda left it though :/

Given that there are tons of roots on the Ridge trail, and the really, truly awesome/aggravating root sections haven't been mangled, I don't think this is part of a sanitization program. Still, it behooves us to keep our eyes open for this kind of thing... good eyes on ya mate.

Consider the possibility that it wasn't bikers either; being the Ridge this is a very multi-use trail. Perhaps those sections caught/tripped up a few hikers or dog walkers and they chopped it. Deadfall in the area may have cracked them when it fell, or as it was dragged around in the cleanup process.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
phillyGTA said:
like the beloved chicken run .. too narrow , too high , too tough.. let's cut it down. I think this is just wrong !
Chicken run was taken down because the City has deemed anything man made over ankle high too dangerous and to be taken down. Thats from Pottery RD to Millwood bridge but who knows when they will just go all the way to the park and take down the rest... :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of the said stunts on chicken run were probably taken down because they were not safe. I was not part of the removal of the stunts but I have ridden by some of the older stunts in the past few years and there is no way you would catch me ridding on any of them. Some were so bad that they were falling apart on there own. If you have a concern, you can ask jmurray about the Don Valley (Crothers' Woods) Public Consultation being held on Monday. Or you can check out this link for some info on where and when it is.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=243819

·
Registered
167 Posts
Chicken run was taken down because the City has deemed anything man made over ankle high too dangerous and to be taken down

Really... that's official city policy as communicated to you by an actual government employee? ;) Hehe... SuperNewb, I appreciate the concern but there's no need for undue panic. Chicken Run was taken down several seasons ago. There was a bit of a panicky situation and there was some over reaction. In any case, It's generally agreed upon between us grubby mountain bikers, the City, et al, that there is no structure to be built between the Bayview-Pottery trailhead and Millwood bridge.

Also, consider that any structure taken down might have been done by locals. For the last couple years we've instituted a policy that if anyone builds anything poorly, or something that's a bad idea (especially off the main trail, ie. Bayview-Pottery to the Thorncliffe parking lot), we'll rip it out ourselves. Believe me, our ability to police ourselves is part of the reason that Don mountain bikers now have a very good relationship with the City and IMBA.

If you want to build stunts, there are other Don trails near by where they can be located. Head over to the Don forum at dropmachine.com; that's where almost all of the builders hang out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts