Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
tron said:
Just puchased a new car that has a factory rack with no cross bars. Where are the best deals for the cross bars and bike attachments?
try orsracksdirect.com then have sportracks retail store match the prices.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
^what he said. I think i got my yakima system there too. may have been elsewhere, but its pretty easy to find a place.

Pretty sure the best you can do is online, 20% off, out of state (no tax), and free shipping.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
doesn't matter

thule and yakima make "fit kits" for every car under the sun - just go to their website and decide what sort of bike carrier you need - i picked a thule super G great for mountain bikes but if you want to use a road bike too i would go for the big mouth.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
It does matter

Chris9702l said:
What kind of car?
I am in the same situation (05 Honda Odyssy)and I found out it's cheaper to install a pair of cross bars ($150) and Honda upright bike mount ($105) than to purchase a seperate Yakima system. The factory cross bar looks better, has an integrated design, but cannot use fork mount rack. You can find out what it takes to put bikes on your roof through Yakima or Thule's website, then compare to your car accessory website for the best solution. For example, Honda requires upgrade of the exhaust system for the hitch installation (to prevent overheat when tolling your boat), for a bike rack it's ridicules so I have to ditch that idea and go for the roof racks.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
BigBull said:
I am in the same situation (05 Honda Odyssy)and I found out it's cheaper to install a pair of cross bars ($150) and Honda upright bike mount ($105) than to purchase a seperate Yakima system. The factory cross bar looks better, has an integrated design, but cannot use fork mount rack. You can find out what it takes to put bikes on your roof through Yakima or Thule's website, then compare to your car accessory website for the best solution. For example, Honda requires upgrade of the exhaust system for the hitch installation (to prevent overheat when tolling your boat), for a bike rack it's ridicules so I have to ditch that idea and go for the roof racks.
I am pretty sure Yakima and thule make an adapter thing that can mount to any kind of cross bar. If I were you, I would get the factory cross bar, and look into the wide variety of Yakima or Thule bike racks as there are so many options, and I prefer the fork mounted style. I did end up getting a Yakima low rider mount for my factory rails, and I think it eas something like $120 for the mounts and 40 for the bars, then the racks separate, but I wanted more flexibility as I use mine for snowboards and surfboards too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.