Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well im plannin on placing a roof rack for my bike on my '98 Honda civic dx hatchback.
I priced one out today through thule and im not leaving without paying atleast 320$. I'm just wondering what kind of racks u guys are using and how much did it cost?

i am going to purchase one where the whole bike just straps in without having to take the front wheel off

·
Kill that $hit!
809 Posts
ilikepinkbikes said:
ok well im plannin on placing a roof rack for my bike on my '98 Honda civic dx hatchback.
I priced one out today through thule and im not leaving without paying atleast 320$. I'm just wondering what kind of racks u guys are using and how much did it cost?

i am going to purchase one where the whole bike just straps in without having to take the front wheel off
I've had my Yakima King Cobra for the last year with zero issues or problems. I seem to remember picking up the racks (cross bars not included) for about $100 each on sale at Superblow. FYI, the only difference between the Cobra and the King Cobra is the built in lock, which is why I went w/ the King Cobra. Hope that helps...

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
I will second the Yakima King Cobra. I've had mine for a year with no problems. Yakima is supposedly coming out with a newer model that will be even easier to use. The only downside is having to lift a 45 pound bike on to the roof of a car. I'm 6'5" and pretty strong so its not a problem. However, if you are short it could a lot harder.

Another option would be to have a hitch receiver put and go with a SportWorks rack. My friend has one and it is super easy to use and doesn't require you putting the bike above your head.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
after a long, tiring ride it is hard to lift your bike over your head....plus you get worse gas mileage.....if you can spring it....get a 2" trailor hitch installed on your car and go that route

·
Kill that $hit!
809 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
after a long, tiring ride it is hard to lift your bike over your head....plus you get worse gas mileage.....if you can spring it....get a 2" trailor hitch installed on your car and go that route
true, but depending on the car, I don't know if this guys want's a trailor hitch and a big ol rack in the back of his car.

J

·
0 Posts
I take the front wheel of my bike and it fits in the back seat of my toyota corolla..lol

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
MorphineAddict said:
true, but depending on the car, I don't know if this guys want's a trailor hitch and a big ol rack in the back of his car.
yeah, but on a civic it would be no problem

J

·
0 Posts
MorphineAddict said:
Zat what you're rollin Bob? :p I'd always thought of you as a raked up Chevy Blazer w/ a gun rack kinda guy. ;)
I think hes talking about the thread creator, ilikepinkbikes... he said he has a civic////

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
x10 for this idea. seriously. I've tried both. Nothing beats the Sportworks (now Thule) T2. They come in 2" or 1.25" hitch versions. I'd recommend the 1.25" hitch on a civic, but that's your call. You can get the hitch for $75, the rack for $275-$280 (ORSracksdirect.com). So, for just a little more money you get the absolute best rack option.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
MorphineAddict said:
Zat what you're rollin Bob? :p I'd always thought of you as a raked up Chevy Blazer w/ a gun rack kinda guy. ;)
nah....first poster said he drives '98 Honda civic dx hatchback.....

I roll the Toyota 4Runner 4X4....dis is mine

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
ilikepinkbikes, I have a '97 Civic LX sedan and am planning on buying either a Thule or Yakima roof rack for my car in the next week. (going with roofrack for simplicity, and hitches cost $$$) If you haven't gotten anything by then I'll give you a full report as to how my escapade has gone. It definitely looks like buying the basic system alone is going to be a good $250-300 though. And of course, I need a place to put all my gnar stickers. :p ;)

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Email sending now...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts