Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
frank n. beans said:
On street parking? Easier to load when you aren't dodging traffic? Can't think of anything else.
I was going to write the same. It's easier to unload the bike onto the shoulder than into the road when there is traffic.

Having written that though, my bike is either in the car or on the trunkrack.

·
853+29+1x24=Fun
1,020 Posts
StormShadow said:
Kind of related: Why do some people mount their bikes with the handle bars facing the front and some facing the back ?
Since I've moved to a roof rack, I've noticed some bug guys on my handelbars, grips and fork. Mounting it backwards would keep that from happening...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Be careful, guys--some might see your interest in this as a sign that you're a poser. :eek:
:D

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I mount the bike on either side, usually will be the side closer to my house. Which side will only matter if you park on the shoulder and were I ride there's always space to securely park your hauler.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine's on the drivers side since that's where it's easier to get to.

Oh, as to facing the bike backwards to avoid bug splats on the fork and bars/grips - won't that just put the bug splats on the BACK of the grips instead of the front? I think so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have one rack on each side, since I rarely only have one bike on the roof. I think when I just had one, it was on the passenger side because my car's antenna got in the way on the driver side. Now I just keep the antenna collapsed all the time since radio here sucks.

As for front or back facing, my Yakima king cobra recommended mounting it backward if you have a fairing, which I do, so I did. I assume it has something to do with aerodynamics, but I really don't know. Problem was that if you forget to put the front piece down and drive into the parking garage (hey, at least I remembered to take the bike off!), it gets pretty mangled, whereas if it is facing forward, it just gets pushed down. So now, despite Yakima's recommendation, I have both my racks facing forward.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Passenger Side

I have always mounted mine on the passenger side, I think its more because that way I can watch my bike through my sunroof. Even though I've been doing it for a few years, I still get nervous driving with my bike on my roof. I have visisons of it flying off on the highway going 70 mph and killing some old lady (not that watching it would prevent that, but I can still keep and eye on it)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends which bike

My mountain bike goes on the driver's side and the road bike goes on the passenger's side. I do it this way because I have adjusted the skewers on each sled for the forks of the respective bikes. Makes loading quicker.

·
Registered
399 Posts
oh no

RetroG said:
I see most with bike on passenger side. Any reason why?
Put it in the trunt. Maybe it's like wearing an earing. I would stay left side.... Strap it to the hood. Maybe if you make more left hand turns and you put it on the right side, it will balance your car better. If you put on the left you could tell people hey I put my bike on the left side, wow look at me. I heard it makes you ride faster if you put it on the left. Maybe you could put it on the left M,T,W and then the rest of the week try the other side. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Stantions?

Do anyone else worry about your stantions getting pinged up by rocks or gummed up with bugs when the bike's front-facing? I rigged up a piece of cardboard as a shield on my last road trip, and that thing caught a lot of road debris.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
cyklops said:
Do anyone else worry about your stantions getting pinged up by rocks or gummed up with bugs when the bike's front-facing? I rigged up a piece of cardboard as a shield on my last road trip, and that thing caught a lot of road debris.
I don't care.

·
here today
5,926 Posts
back rack - I have a roof rack but rarely use in now, good friend lost bike, rack and part of roof going into a tunnel - happens to the best of us ... back rack for me...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.