Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookiing for advice.
One of my Thule Velo Vice V2 clamps went bad this week and I need a new one to hold my La Bruja on the roof.
Not sure if I should try an upright one where you keep the front wheel on? The Bruja has that giant downtube so I'm not sure about the fit with the clamps that hold that tube?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

CR

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 1-Up tray is the best out there ...

It is also marketed as the U-Haul SafeRack. I am not sure why these are not better known, but they blow away anything Yakima/Thule/Others have come up with. It is an aluminum tray with brackets front and rear that grip the tires front and rear. Nothing on the rack touches the bike, only the tires. The trays will mount to Yakima, Thule or other cross bars and will hold anything from a downhill bike to a road bike, to a kids bike. I paid $100 per tray a few years ago. Do a google search and you should find them.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I had to get different racks due to a new company car (POS 06 Impala FWIW). I went with Thule since they're the only company making fit kits for this vehicle right now.

Chose the Sidearm. Complete bike mount - nice for bikes with TAs. Really impressed. Laterally, it seems as stout as my Yak Viper trays. Just clears a big FS 29er - wheelbase and wheel size push the envelope.

I highly recommend it. Very stout. This after a decade of Yak only use. I buy all my rack stuff from www.ageebike.com - most consistent value I've found.

A good complete bike hitch mount option is the T2. Same mech as the Sidearm. Thule bought Sportworks and this design recently.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Not super sexy like Soupy's but....

creationrebel said:
Lookiing for advice.
One of my Thule Velo Vice V2 clamps went bad this week and I need a new one to hold my La Bruja on the roof.
Not sure if I should try an upright one where you keep the front wheel on? The Bruja has that giant downtube so I'm not sure about the fit with the clamps that hold that tube?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

CR
For a whopping $60. BVG Ankle Biter works well. I've fit my entire fleet no problem, from Bruja to Martillo, I run tie downs just for my own mental security.

Available @ Nashbar. BVG got bought out by Thule last BTW.

Have one on there now, and plan to order #2 next week.

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
For a whopping $60. BVG Ankle Biter works well. I've fit my entire fleet no problem, from Bruja to Martillo, I run tie downs just for my own mental security.

Available @ Nashbar. BVG got bought out by Thule last BTW.

Have one on there now, and plan to order #2 next week.
nice....can that attach directly to factory roof racks? if so, i am on it

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
That's exactly why I got it. Designed to fit Factory Roof Racks.
Make sure your cross bars are less than 70mm wide and 50mm tall and it will fit.

(Nissan XTerra will not fit, most all other will)

-Aaron

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
That's exactly why I got it. Designed to fit Factory Roof Racks.
Make sure your cross bars are less than 70mm wide and 50mm tall and it will fit.

(Nissan XTerra will not fit, most all other will)

-Aaron
thanks!

i have an Xterra but use the 4 bike Sportworks.....it would be for my wifes Pathfinder for when we camp and stuff so it should work great. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
jbf said:
It is also marketed as the U-Haul SafeRack. I am not sure why these are not better known, but they blow away anything Yakima/Thule/Others have come up with. It is an aluminum tray with brackets front and rear that grip the tires front and rear. Nothing on the rack touches the bike, only the tires. The trays will mount to Yakima, Thule or other cross bars and will hold anything from a downhill bike to a road bike, to a kids bike. I paid $100 per tray a few years ago. Do a google search and you should find them.
I really like the idea of a rack that holds the bike by the tyres, but what happens if the tyre deflates for some reason? Unlikely I know, but certainly possible. I use a Thule 591 which grabs hold of the downtube. I think the jaws are wide enough to take a La Bruja, but I've only ever carried an X5 and El Salt. I was worried it might rub the downtube, but with a little foam wrap it's been fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Photo of the 1up tray ...

jbf said:
I have attached a photo so you can get an idea how this tray works. I know it is not a proper bike, but the El Chamuco was not fully assembled this morning and I did not want to miss my ride window - before the wife & kids woke up.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.