Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, coming to you with a two-part question. First, my vehicle (Hummer H3) has slightly curved factory roof racks, and I'd rather not replace them (fitment is a pain in the ass and expensive for this vehicle). Right now, I'm using a Thule Circuit rooftop carrier with an adapter for the Maxle on my MTB. It seems secure up there, but the bike does sit at about a 5-10 degree angle. I can't really move the carrier inboard much, it's a high vehicle. So, is the slant a big concern? I also want to get my road bike up there, so I need another carrier. If one bike leaning at a slight angle is bad, I don't want to do it with two.

Second, I've tried a hitch rack on this thing, but it just doesn't work. Even folded down, the rear door won't open. So I've been considering a tire-mounted rack. I've never liked the cheap ones I owned in the past, letting my bikes clang together. Now I have people telling me that using a rack that holds the bike by the frame will F-up my suspension forks.

So, TL/DR: My bikes ride at an angle on my roof racks, a hitch rack won't work on my truck, and I'm concerned that a spare tire rack will screw up my bikes. What is the lesser of two evils here?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
The angle that your bikes fit onto the roof rack should not create any problems, however, you need to make sure they are secure.
If I had a similar problem and was concerned, I'd make a wedge type shim to fit beneath your fork mount/ tray so that you bikes sit more upright.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've never seen it done, but I almost pulled the trigger on this for a Wrangler, but we ended up selling the Jeep.

StowAway2 swing out frame:

And bolt on a pair of 1upusa roof mounts:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks pretty slick. . .kinda looks like you'd need an entire car length behind you just to open the rear gate, though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts