Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Thule outride to carry my Giant Trance X 29er and Remedy 29er 9. I am sick and tired removing the front tires.

I am looking at the Thule Proride and Thule sidearm. What do you think about those bike carrier, does the thule proride scratches the frame?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Any specific reason that you are looking for roof only? Why not invest in something like the Kuat NV or the equivalent from Thule/Yakima in a hitch mount? Throwing a full sized bike up on time like that only adds to aero issues with your vehicle and from the ones that I always see on the highway, I dont know if I would want my couple thousand dollar bike hanging up there and leaning like the Tower of Pisa.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I am currently using a Thule outride to carry my Giant Trance X 29er and Remedy 29er 9. I am sick and tired removing the front tires.

I am looking at the Thule Proride and Thule sidearm. What do you think about those bike carrier, does the thule proride scratches the frame?
I haven't used the models that you mention but I've been using a pair of "Thule Tour" for about 12 years. They were made in Europe and have the same support arm as the Thule Big Mouth which grips on the downtube but with a different channel. I've carried several different bikes over that time and many friends bikes. Never had any scratches or damage.

Any specific reason that you are looking for roof only? Why not invest in something like the Kuat NV or the equivalent from Thule/Yakima in a hitch mount? Throwing a full sized bike up on time like that only adds to aero issues with your vehicle and from the ones that I always see on the highway, I dont know if I would want my couple thousand dollar bike hanging up there and leaning like the Tower of Pisa.
To each his own but I'd rather put up with the aerodynamic drag on my car than have my expensive mountain bike on a hitch rack, sand blasted with road junk and debris or muck when you get caught in the rain. I've done long trips at high speed, with up to three bikes on the car without problem.

Then there's the story posted some time ago, I believe it was on the California forum. The guy was stuck in a traffic jam on a freeway with his bike on a hitch rack. I'm in Nor Cal. and I've experienced dead stops on the freeway like that. Anyway, the next thing the guy sees his bike heading down the shoulder never to be seen again and there was nothing he could do about it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefera bike carrier roof rack than the hitch because both of my cars already have a roof rack. If I invest in hitch it will cost me $1500 AUD for each car to have towbar installed plus additional $600-$1000 for the hitch carrier.

I don't mind hanging my bike on top of my car, I've been doing this for 2 years and I had no problems at all.

Between the Thule proride and sidearm which one is better?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts